Don’t translate the names of heroes and items.

samovar_man

Valve, please. Don’t translate the names of heroes and items. It’s great that you’re working on the Russian localization at such an early stage of the game, but translating the names ruins our gaming experience, even within our group. Here are the main reasons:

1. Proper names are not translated in Russian.
2. We play on EU servers, so we often match with English-speaking players. This creates a communication gap between players. For example, a player says "go kill Shiv." But who is "Shiv"? In our translation, it’s "Zatochka." The same applies to items. An English-speaking player advises me to buy an item and mentions its name. How am I supposed to understand what that is? It can’t even be found using the in-game search.
3. In Dota, this is done perfectly. All descriptions are translated, but the names of heroes and items remain in English. This should be implemented in Deadlock as well.
4. As an alternative, you could add a separate setting that allows players to switch the translation of names if they wish.
5. Even among my friends, this creates misunderstandings. I’m used to the English names, but my friends are new to the game, and everything is in russian for them. I simply can’t suggest which item they should buy because the names are different.

--------------

Valve, пожалуйста. Не переводите имена героев и предметов. Очень круто, что вы занимаетесь переводом на русский на таком раннем этапе игры, но перевод имен ломает наш игровой опыт, даже внутри нашей группы. Вот главные причины:
1. Имена собственные в русском языке не переводятся
2. Мы играем на EU серверах, соответственно попадаемся с англоговорящими игроками. Это создает коммуникативную пропасть между игроками. Игрок говорит "go kill shiv". А кто такой "shiv"? У нас в переводе это "Zatochka". Тоже самое касается и предметов. Англоговорящий игрок мне советуют купить предмет и говорит его название. А как я его должен понять? Он даже через поиск в магазине не находится.
3. В Доте это сделано идеально. Перевод всех описаний, а название героев и предметов на английском. Так нужно сделать и в Deadlock.
4. Как альтернатива, вы можете добавить отдельную настройку. Чтобы при желании игрок сам мог переключить перевод названий.
5. Даже среди моих друзей создается недопонимание. Я привык к английским названиям, а мои друзья пришли в игру недавно и у них все на русском языке. Я просто не могу им подсказать название предмета, который им нужно купить.

Valve, please. Don’t translate the names of heroes and items. It’s great that you’re working on the Russian localization at such an early stage of the game, but translating the names ruins our gaming experience, even within our group. Here are the main reasons:

1. Proper names are not translated in Russian.
2. We play on EU servers, so we often match with English-speaking players. This creates a communication gap between players. For example, a player says "go kill Shiv." But who is "Shiv"? In our translation, it’s "Zatochka." The same applies to items. An English-speaking player advises me to buy an item and mentions its name. How am I supposed to understand what that is? It can’t even be found using the in-game search.
3. In Dota, this is done perfectly. All descriptions are translated, but the names of heroes and items remain in English. This should be implemented in Deadlock as well.
4. As an alternative, you could add a separate setting that allows players to switch the translation of names if they wish.
5. Even among my friends, this creates misunderstandings. I’m used to the English names, but my friends are new to the game, and everything is in russian for them. I simply can’t suggest which item they should buy because the names are different.

--------------

Valve, пожалуйста. Не переводите имена героев и предметов. Очень круто, что вы занимаетесь переводом на русский на таком раннем этапе игры, но перевод имен ломает наш игровой опыт, даже внутри нашей группы. Вот главные причины:
1. Имена собственные в русском языке не переводятся
2. Мы играем на EU серверах, соответственно попадаемся с англоговорящими игроками. Это создает коммуникативную пропасть между игроками. Игрок говорит "go kill shiv". А кто такой "shiv"? У нас в переводе это "Zatochka". Тоже самое касается и предметов. Англоговорящий игрок мне советуют купить предмет и говорит его название. А как я его должен понять? Он даже через поиск в магазине не находится.
3. В Доте это сделано идеально. Перевод всех описаний, а название героев и предметов на английском. Так нужно сделать и в Deadlock.
4. Как альтернатива, вы можете добавить отдельную настройку. Чтобы при желании игрок сам мог переключить перевод названий.
5. Даже среди моих друзей создается недопонимание. Я привык к английским названиям, а мои друзья пришли в игру недавно и у них все на русском языке. Я просто не могу им подсказать название предмета, который им нужно купить.
BlessRNG наши молитвы услышатся🙏🙏🙏.

I thought they separated the region and Russia has its own servers, now?
S'what other folks have been saying, at least.

I thought they separated the region and Russia has its own servers, now?
S'what other folks have been saying, at least.
While this is true in principle, and there definitely is a split and there is intended to be one, people do still end up in matches with people they can't communicate with thru text or voice. Anecdotally my previous game i ended up muting voices of three (presumably) Russian speakers, and I'm very EUW.
Regardless, the Europe region being split like this is the only place a split like that occurs, and while it's intended to solve a language issue, all other regions will have this issue, too, with every localisation made.

I only speak English fluently, but In dota I have long since played with a lot of spanish speaking players and it's nice being able to understand who theyre talking about. I would hope language barriers dont have to include hero/item names. For things like abilities it doesn't really matter (OP I'm sure you understand this just saying) because we can just refer to them as 1-4 ability, its what my friends and I usually do anyway speaking all english.

Back