Hero Idea - Bulrush

kermodo

I love the art style and general theming the game has - with the 1920s steampunk aesthetic and lore. Going with the lore - as a character that may have worked with Mo and Krill (and the rest of The Tunnel Rats) - I think it would be fitting that someone would need to supply the "exotic goods." So, a 1920's prohibition hillbilly moonshiner would fit that spot perfectly!

General Looks:

In my head, I imagine an older gentleman with a wildly long and overgrown grey beard and sun-spotted skin. His body would be more pear-shaped with thin spindly arms and legs and a large pot belly. He would be more clothes than person with his thin frame (besides his stomach.) A large undershirt that bellows much larger than his wrists are - which is tattered and stained. I think it would be funny if he only had one boot on one foot, and the other foot was missing his shoe. Could be covered in a gross sock or just bare-footed. Around his waist would be a "toolbelt", connected with multiple booze bottles of varying sizes. On his back could be a keg or maybe a very large glass bottle (I know you guys have that cool liquid physics from Half-Life Alyx, might be a cool implementation there.) Could have a corn-cob pipe in his mouth that bounces w/ voice lines when he talks.

1715196250749.png

General Character Use/Build:

What I'm thinking for Bulrush is that he would serve as a primary buff/debuffer for team. A support character - with two build focuses. One can focus on increasing the 1st and 2nd skill w/ weapon damage to become a single-target close-range killer. The other focuses on spirit and cooldowns to become a healing and general support player for their team. The numbers would need to be tuned depending on the strength of the character - I just put some general numbers down from what I felt would be normal with what's currently in the game.

Main Weapon:

A comedically large double barrel shotgun. I'd imagine many weapon buffs to him wouldn't work well (attack speed, ammo count.) Maybe ammo count would work to increase the base damage of the two shells - while attack speed would decrease the time to reload the two shells.

Instead of zooming with right click, it would instead fire both shells - still acting as if it fired one shell but adding a 50% damage increase. Could also add a knockback when firing this way that pushes the player 5-10 meters back. Could be a fun movement mechanic for the character.

Skill One: Bullet Brew

Bulrush pulls a bottle from his waist and lobs it a medium distance forward. Any enemy player hit take 15% more bullet damage for 10s. Any friendly player hit deal 15% more bullet damage for 10s. Deals 150 spirit damage to enemies in the radius. This ability has a radius of 10m and is on a 30s cooldown.

Upgrade 1: Cooldown is reduced by 15s.

Upgrade 2: Increase Spirit damage by 100 and increase radius by 10m.

Upgrade 3: Increase incoming damage and damage dealt from 15% to 30%.

Skill Two: Specialty Spirits

Bulrush pulls another bottle from his waist and lobs it a medium distance forward. Any enemy player hit are slowed by 30% for 5s and take 15% more spirit damage for 10s. Any friendly player hit deal 15% more spirit damage for 10s. Heals 150 spirit healing(?) to friendlies in the radius. This ability has a radius of 10m and is on a 30s cooldown.

Upgrade 2: Increase Spirit healing by 100 and increase radius by 10m.

Upgrade 3: Increase incoming damage and damage dealt from 15% to 30%.

Skill Three: The Good Stuff

Bulrush quickly downs a bottle of hooch and gains multiple benefits over that period of time. His shotgun's reload time is lowered by 33% and his movement speed increases by 2m/s. Maybe add some sort of screen overlay/vignette that would let the player know that they're in this state - as well as giving a "drunk" feel. This last 10s on a 45s cooldown.

Upgrade 2: Movement speed is instead increased by 4m/s and reload time is lowered by 66%

Upgrade 3: This now applies to all friendly characters within 15m of Bulrush.

Ultimate Skill: Speakeasy

Bulrush takes the large container of booze from his back and throws it over a large distance. Enemy players hit by this are inflicted by a confused state (think "DONK" from TF2 where a player walks in a random direction) for 2s and are silenced and disarmed for 5s after. This also deals 300 spirit damage. Any friendly player hit by this have their stamina replenished, have their stamina increased by 2, are given a 2m/s speed boost, and are healed for 300. The base radius of this AoE would be 15m and would be on a 120s cooldown

Upgrade 1: Cooldown is reduced by 60s.

Upgrade 2: Increase the radius from 15m to 30m.

Upgrade 3: Increase spirit healing by 200 and spirit damage by 200.

Back