Hero - Ballista (REMAKE)

ziz4030

1727584614497.png

A Fate's Tale

A captain of the skies well known for her bravery in the wars for the annexation for Ixia and a charismatic voice for the Friends of Humanity. Lesser known as a pit fighter in the underground of New York City. Once engaged to Lash, but it ended when he bet his ring against her and lost.

------

Primary Fire

Eagle's Dare

Projectile Long Range Heavy Hitter

A Bolt-Action Rifle with a long reload and very long bullet fall off range.

Secondary Fire

Has a three scope Zoom. Aim Zoom starts at 60% of current value then increases up to 110% of current value after 1.1s of aiming.

----

1 - Zephyr Kick

Perform a clockwise crescent kick that sends you spinning forward in the air keeping your current vertical height for a distance. If you hit an enemy or Skyburst Grenade stop the kick and deal Heavy Melee Damage to nearby emeries. The enemy you hit is sent spinning for half the remaining kick distance then Knocked Down.

Kick Duration - 1.4s

Range - 14m

Speed - 100 m/s

Cooldown - 14s

1 - Enemies Lose 1 Stamina when Knocked Down

2 - Restore 2 Stamina when you hit an Enemy

3 - +200% LIfesteal vs Heroes and Zephyr Kick Counts as Parrying and Resets Parry Cooldown

------------------------

2 - Skyburst

Throw a Grenade that bounces off the world or the first enemy then leaps into the air and Implodes. Damages enemies and knocks all units away from the Implosion Area. Enemies are knocked back and allies leap forward. Scatters Gravity Mines that float in the air for a duration after and burst on contact to Damage and Silence enemies. Shooting or Zephyr Kicking the Grenade will trigger the Implosion Instantly.

Max Range - 30m

Bounce Range - 7m

Jump Height - 5m

Implosion Delay - 1.2s

Implosion Radius - 18m

Damage - 80

Gravity Mine Count - 5

Gravity Mine Duration - 15s

Gravity Mine Damage - 30

Gravity Mine Silence -2s

Gravity Mine Radius - 8m

Cooldown - 35s

1 - +2 Gravity Mines

2 - -20s Cooldown

5 - +2s Gravity Mine Silence

------------------------

3 - Zipshot

Fire a crossbow bolt that Damages and Shreds Bullet Resist. +90% Increased Effect on Headshot. If it collides with the world at an upward angle a temporary zipline for is created for your allies that causes them to gain Sprint Movement after getting off.

Bolt Distance - 40m

Damage - 90

Bullet Resist Reduction - 18%

Duration - 8s

Zipline Duration - 17s

Sprint Duration - 5s

Cooldown - 33s

1 - -10s Cooldown

2 - +50% Zipline Speed on Temporary Zipline and +3 m/s Sprint Speed

5 - +175% Headshot Factor and Scales with Spirit

------------------------

4 - Siegebreaker

Gain a Special Crosshair and Zoom Out to Aim a Destructively Powerful Bolt. Hold Down to increase range while Channeling and choose the target point with your mouse cursor then press Space to Fire. Always takes the same amount of time to reach its destination and tears Cosmic Veils through walls that allies can see and shoot through. Enemies hit take damage and are carried with it. Once it hits enemies it will collide with the world instead of tearing through it and Impale enemies to the exact spot the Siegebreaker lands for a duration.

Max Range - 200m

Max Channel TIme - 3s

Projectile Travel Time - 1.5s

Cosmic Veil Radius - 10m

Cosmic Veil Duration - 15s

Damage - 200

Impale Duration - 3s

Charges - 1

Charge Use Timer - 2s

Cooldown - 180s

1 - +1 Charge

2 - +2s Imaple Duration

5 - +30% Max Health Damage on Imaple

------------------------

Based on the deleted hero

1727574449577.png
1727584551023.png
Ultimate Crosshair
1727584568293.png

Last edited:
Change to 2:

Zephyr Kick Makes it Bounce instead of Imploding Instantly. Shooting now Implodes it Instantly and enemies can shoot it too.

at 13:23 mark are lines for 'ballista' a hero that is not currently in the code of deadlock and presumably scrapped and the hero concept tries to tie it together while also giving vindicta and grey talon a rival sniper from their enemy faction

So, i got the impression the friends of humanity was a hate group similar to the KKK, and that's why despite it being important lorewise, nobody playable was a member.
As for the actual abilities
Long range weapon when one of your abilities is a "go in" button feels weird.

Zephyr kick probably should do light melee damage with a bonus, similar to puddle punch, rather than heavy melee damage.

Why does implosion do knockback? Also doing mines after a delayed explosion? It all seems complicated. I'd say make the delay longer (3 seconds or so), make the damage higher, remove the mines, and also add besides shooting and zephyr kick, if an enemy directly touches it it explodes. Possibly make it so zephyr kick sends it flying towards your crosshair and explodes on impact too, then it's like a football or something, could be fun.

Ziplines usually cause you to fall off when taking damage, i take it this crossbow bolt zipline wouldn't? Overall not a fan of the ability, i feel like you either get to use it for damage, or to aim for good zipline positioning, and trying to do one ruins the other. It's an ability fighting against itself.

The ultimate is probably going to be either glitch city, or very ugly on certain buildings/elements of map geometry. Maybe just make it so during the ult chargeup you can see through walls and it goes through walls?

Last edited:
Wasn't sure initially, but then I did it. Artwork of mine.
View attachment 21329
This is awesome thank you! Better than the original which was just mspaint tracing over a stock image of a 'stern worman' and drawing random shoulderpads and a crossbow,

lol heres the stock photo for the original image, the mole is vey important, as is the finger since i decided it would add to the aspect of a very aim based character.

1727743804435.png

So, i got the impression the friends of humanity was a hate group similar to the KKK, and that's why despite it being important lorewise, nobody playable was a member.
As for the actual abilities
Long range weapon when one of your abilities is a "go in" button feels weird.

Zephyr kick probably should do light melee damage with a bonus, similar to puddle punch, rather than heavy melee damage.

Why does implosion do knockback? Also doing mines after a delayed explosion? It all seems complicated. I'd say make the delay longer (3 seconds or so), make the damage higher, remove the mines, and also add besides shooting and zephyr kick, if an enemy directly touches it it explodes. Possibly make it so zephyr kick sends it flying towards your crosshair and explodes on impact too, then it's like a football or something, could be fun.

Ziplines usually cause you to fall off when taking damage, i take it this crossbow bolt zipline wouldn't? Overall not a fan of the ability, i feel like you either get to use it for damage, or to aim for good zipline positioning, and trying to do one ruins the other. It's an ability fighting against itself.

The ultimate is probably going to be either glitch city, or very ugly on certain buildings/elements of map geometry. Maybe just make it so during the ult chargeup you can see through walls and it goes through walls?
a lot of the text design was getting the wording right, that version would not be as balanced as the one i used for a game mockup and has a lot more mechanics that were just extra.

zephyr kick is a couple different things, it basically is a spin dash that conserves altitude and sends you forward very very fast. if you hit an enemy both you and the enemy fast fall. lash has a kick that gets damage from height this kick would basically get stun from height. its a heavy melee because it is based on a very heavy telegraphed kick called an axe kick.

yeah the grenade is meant to be kicked like a football or hit by the crossbow.

zipshot is designed to be used mainly as a damage tool and when fighting from height differences it suddenly closes them in. in lane you destroy waves and if you get the headshot you deal much more damage following up. it is high risk high reward for sure.

ultimate would be something where it gains collision once it hits an enemy hero so a baked in safeguard from breaking the map. but yeah this would be the reason to pick the hero, it provides an answer to the mobility creep by making all that airtime potentially make you get speared out of the air and onto a wall.

a lot of the text design was getting the wording right, that version would not be as balanced as the one i used for a game mockup and has a lot more mechanics that were just extra.

zephyr kick is a couple different things, it basically is a spin dash that conserves altitude and sends you forward very very fast. if you hit an enemy both you and the enemy fast fall. lash has a kick that gets damage from height this kick would basically get stun from height. its a heavy melee because it is based on a very heavy telegraphed kick called an axe kick.

yeah the grenade is meant to be kicked like a football or hit by the crossbow.

zipshot is designed to be used mainly as a damage tool and when fighting from height differences it suddenly closes them in. in lane you destroy waves and if you get the headshot you deal much more damage following up. it is high risk high reward for sure.

ultimate would be something where it gains collision once it hits an enemy hero so a baked in safeguard from breaking the map. but yeah this would be the reason to pick the hero, it provides an answer to the mobility creep by making all that airtime potentially make you get speared out of the air and onto a wall.
It doesn't matter what the animation is, unless it's telegraphed harder and slower than a real heavy melee, it should be light melee + a bonus. I also got the impression it had no startup, because that is what would be most useful in the air, similar to lash ground pound. With a startup, heavy melee or no, this ability is terrible, because the enemy will fall out of the air before you hit them.

To add to the lore, what if she was the captain of the sky police, a living legend, but then something happened and she became a rogue or a pit fighter like stated at first?

To add to the lore, what if she was the captain of the sky police, a living legend, but then something happened and she became a rogue or a pit fighter like stated at first?
pretty much the idea i wanted to get across was that it was a part time thing that would have been in the past by the time the events of the games happen.

career in the air force came first, then that coincided with the pit fighting career. that would end with the fight that was won but lash gambled their engagement rings on her losing the fight. and then afterwards became mainly focused on military career and became one of those people that uses their military status for political lobbying and is a monster hunter working for the friends of humanity who promotes them to the public. so the evil sidekick for john hathorne who is an evil monster hunter after grey talon and vindicta. a living legend who campaigns for dark forces but is still pretty famous since the general public doesnt think they are evil yet.

as well in the world of deadlock traditional air craft we know are nothing compared to the technology that uses the binding of wind spirits to pilot zeppelins for war. planes were not invented because through magic the blimps called zephyrs that use wind spirits are just faster and can carry more fire power. this is the reason for the crossbow it is a silver tipped siege ballista that disenchants the spirits of the other vessels and tears through the fabric holding them in the sky.

Last edited:
Back