Game Crashes After Valve Logo On Boot

Lalil

Have over 100 hours in Deadlock, recently the game now crashes on start up. Before this issue I was kicked out of a match and failed to reconnect due to an issue with steam but I don't remember what the error message was exactly. I was still listed as online on steam. Restarted PC, reinstalled Deadlock, disabled and re enabled Vulkan, etc. None of those worked.

1726875964163.png

I encountered this same issue. 109 hours on Pop OS, then out of nowhere it just stops working and now every time i launch the game it freezes on the logo.

I tried the same steps as you, reinstalled, tried reseting the video settings and vulkan. there is no error in the terminal or logs, it just won't do anything beyond the logo.

rtx 3090 7800x3d 64gb of ram

i found a solution to the game crashing on the valve logo!

Go into game/citadel/cfg and open video.txt.bak, save it as video.txt in the same directory, overwriting the existing file.

It took many hours of troubleshooting individual settings, reinstalling, drivers, scouring forums, but in the end it was a very simple fix.

It didn't work for me, but maybe changing some settings in the video file may be enough to fix my crashes.

*Edit: nope, still doesn't work after turning everything on/off minimum/maximum.

Last edited:
It worked once for me, played just fine. Then i shut down as normal and now I'm back to not being able to launch at all. No amount of reseting is fixing it this time.

Its extra frustrating because its so clearly just a configuration issue if reseting the video config can resolve it momentarily.

another weird workaround which got it working, set the launch option

sw -w 1920 -h 1080

This makes it launch in a borderless window, at minimum this makes it so it only freezes the app not your whole system, and in my case I've been able to launch it a few times now without it failing.

Hoping this gets fixed in the next major patch, haven't been able to play the game since last friday.

As of the latest patch the game now reaches the main menu and then crashes shortly afterwards for seemingly no reason. I can even interact with the menus if I'm fast enough.

another weird workaround which got it working, set the launch option

sw -w 1920 -h 1080

This makes it launch in a borderless window, at minimum this makes it so it only freezes the app not your whole system, and in my case I've been able to launch it a few times now without it failing.
Running in a borderless window permanently has resolved this issue entirely for me.

Back