Feedback for the Brazilian Portuguese hero names

They should keep the original names instead, translation is cool in overall but sometimes you can be playing with your friends and the name difference could cause some confusion, as for an instance, Haze translates to Bruma, the translation is dope but it sounds nothing like the original. Seven is really close to Sete, hard to get into a misunderstanding for example.

I recall playing for the first time with my friends and trying to figure which character was "Adaga" (Shiv).
Yes, Shiv COULD translate into "Adaga", but is the translation is pretty bland since there is no direct translation of "Shiv" into portuguese, so it should not be done.

And there is the "Correct" translations that just don't directly fit, as "Guardião" (Warden) recalls into something more mystical like an ancient protector, not a police officer.

Viscous/Paradox/Dynamo are alright since the direct translation is basically identical. (Viscoso, Paradoxa, Dínamo)

Last edited:
Why is all of your feedback like this:

Apple > Maçã : "Wtf they literally used a translation?!?! Holy smokes. These linguists are insane. Doing regular linguistics work."
it is your first time reading about localizations?
in a multiplayer online game all translations must be accessible to understand the context of everything who should be called in a online match.
Shiv = Adaga. 'wow holy smokes hurr durr regular linguistics' but Haze has a skill which she throws a 'Adaga'. So it can be pretty confusing in a online match.

That's why people are contributing to a better understanding about this localization. And i dont think you are contributing so much doing this.

it is your first time reading about localizations?
in a multiplayer online game all translations must be accessible to understand the context of everything who should be called in a online match.
Shiv = Adaga. 'wow holy smokes hurr durr regular linguistics' but Haze has a skill which she throws a 'Adaga'. So it can be pretty confusing in a online match.

That's why people are contributing to a better understanding about this localization. And i dont think you are contributing so much doing this.
I'm not contributing, yes, but the way OP gives feedback is semi-useless. He seems to be surprised that a translation is... a translation?

The names are not set in stone, since it's a pre-alpha, but they have likely been through many cycles of approval. Whoever does localization for Valve can't do much with these comments. You think you know better?

This is coming from someone working with a localization team in one of the biggest marketing companies in the world.

They should keep the original names instead, translation is cool in overall but sometimes you can be playing with your friends and the name difference could cause some confusion, as for an instance, Haze translates to Bruma, the translation is dope but it sounds nothing like the original. Seven is really close to Sete, hard to get into a misunderstanding for example.

I recall playing for the first time with my friends and trying to figure which character was "Adaga" (Shiv).
Yes, Shiv COULD translate into "Adaga", but is the translation is pretty bland since there is no direct translation of "Shiv" into portuguese, so it should not be done.

And there is the "Correct" translations that just don't directly fit, as "Guardião" (Warden) recalls into something more mystical like an ancient protector, not a police officer.

Viscous/Paradox/Dynamo are alright since the direct translation is basically identical. (Viscoso, Paradoxa, Dínamo)
As a Brazilian guy, i agree with everything.

I'm not contributing, yes, but the way OP gives feedback is semi-useless. He seems to be surprised that a translation is... a translation?

The names are not set in stone, since it's a pre-alpha, but they have likely been through many cycles of approval. Whoever does localization for Valve can't do much with these comments. You think you know better?

This is coming from someone working with a localization team in one of the biggest marketing companies in the world.
I dont think it is useless - or semi-useless. He is giving his feedback about who is 'good' to do a direct translation and who isnt. And we are trying to keep it in one topic.
Many heroes has more than one translations to portuguese. I dont know about other languages but i think it is the same. Sometimes even a direct translation isnt the most common word to that and sounds weird.
And we are talking about this.

I'm confused, which is your main language? Why does it matter to you how brazilians are reacting to the translation? I don't understand why you are invalidating our brazilian's feedbacks. Each language has its specifications, uses and costumes, shouldn't you let this topic to be developed by brazilian players - us - and then validated by the dev team, since you don't seem to be part of?

translating names is stupid, and feels REALLY awkward to talk about the character, and tbh "pocket, haze, ivy" are so much better than "mala, bruma, and hera"

translating names is stupid, and feels REALLY awkward to talk about the character, and tbh "pocket, haze, ivy" are so much better than "mala, bruma, and hera"
I mean, I wouldn't have a huge issue if the game was dubbed in pt-br also, but it doesn't seems as this will be the case. None of the valve games has ptbr dub. It will be strange hearing "haze" and reading the translation.

My apologies to everyone in this thread. I did come out as a bit of a d*ckhead with my comments. I am not familiar with the Portuguese Language and its Brazilian variation, and thus I made ignorant insinuations. We can't always agree on everything.

I hope you have a wonderful day, spreading love and positivity from Europe 💕🌞🌸

Last edited:
My apologies to everyone in this thread. I did come out as a bit of a d*ckhead with my comments. I am not familiar with the Portuguese Language and its Brazilian variation, and thus I made ignorant insinuations. We can't always agree on everything.

I hope you have a wonderful day, spreading love and positivity from Europe 💕🌞🌸
💕🌞🌸

Sobre o Artifact, eu não sabia sobre esse detalhe, pensava que a Valve continuava mantendo os nomes em inglês. Em relação aos nomes dos personagens, é algo bem complicado de se dizer, cada caso é um caso, mas como eu disse "Caso não seja inviável retornar os nomes para o inglês americano, recomendaria deixar uma nota de rodapé com o nome original do personagem embaixo do nome do personagem que foi adaptado como uma forma de orientação entre os idiomas.", e essa recomendação eu daria para o seu exemplo do deus Marte, ex.:

Marte​

Nome do personagem em inglês: Mars

Em relação ao Walker, acho que varia de pessoa pra pessoa a tradução do Walker, quando eu estava traduzindo a versão não oficial do jogo, já li muitas pessoas recomendando vários nomes (Andador, Andante, Andarilho, Vagante, etc...). Sem uma lore mais aprofundado da criatura, é bem difícil bater o martelo e dizer qual será o nome dele. No seu caso, quando eu estava traduzindo a versão não oficial da tradução do jogo, já ouvi várias pessoas falando que Andarilho não seria bom, pois passaria a ideia de que essa criatura iria se deslocar sem rumo ao longo do mapa, coisa que a criatura não faz, ela apenas bate no chão com suas pernas para atordoar inimigos, ou dá alguns pequenos passos para conseguir acertar o seu raio em algum alvo inimigo, caso ela mate ou o inimigo fique fora do seu campo de visão, ela volta para o mesmo local que ela estava inicialmente.
Aqui um bom exemplo em jogo do que poderia ser feito (atenção! Eu editei a tradução oficial pt-br, a implementação que fiz a seguir não é oficial):
20240830204941_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back