Black screen crash

I had the same problem I could play for hours and then freeze>blackscreen>bsod half second>reboot with no dump files, then after the update it became more consistent in the sense i was crashing as soon as entering sandbox or spectate a match, that at least gave me something consistent to work with, i noticed that lowering all settings to lowest possible prevented the crash, then i lowered them just a bit (medium with FSR2 native) and created a more conservative profile on the fly for my GPU[3080] (undervolted more + underclocked aswell), has never happened again since.

Before this I stress tested the system (furmark, OCCT) just to be sure it was stable and it was a problem related only to the game, and it was.
Hope this can help it may be worth a try, GL.
Tried lowering all my settings to the minimum and had no luck.
drivers are updated.
Please let me know if theres anything anyones done to get around this because its very frustrating

do you have monitors running at different refresh rates?
I do not, Ive got a single 1440p 165hz monitor. and technically I have a valve index plugged in but off. I lowered some settings myself, and am waiting to see if it happens again.

The fact that some specific matches have something going on that triggers these is probably something to look into (crashing multiple times in some specific matches while fine in others). ill look at the matches where I crashed and see if there is anything in common.

This problem happened to me just now, alt tabbing between monitors (Both 3440 x 1440 @ 120hz) in the main menu with steam overlay open, crash happened when I pressed the close overlay button. The system is stable, first crash that I can recall.

specs:
AMD Ryzen 5950x
Nvidia 3090
64GB RAM 3200

Replying to say I also have this issue
Ryzen 5600x
rtx 3090ti
something I notice is that most of us have this issue with 30 series cards, the 3090 seems especially problematic

Having the same issue, specs:
Ryzen 3700x
Nvidia 3070
32 GB RAM 3200

changing game to windowed, renderer to vulkan, and turning graphics Way Way down seems to have mitigated it, at least for a couple games so far

Having the same issue, specs:
Ryzen 3700x
Nvidia 3070
32 GB RAM 3200

changing game to windowed, renderer to vulkan, and turning graphics Way Way down seems to have mitigated it, at least for a couple games so far

So I haven’t black screened in 3 days now between graphics driver updates and redoing the undervolt on my GPU using this method.

Worth trying. My temps didn’t seem outrageous or anything before but I was black screening 2x per game at times. Not sure but redoing my undervolt using a different method seemed to fix it.

Has it stayed that way?

I have tried undervolting, graphics down, vulcan. all black screens for me.
I just had this twice last game

trying to alt+f4 while monitors are black caused my pc to beep at my repeatedly

Same issue. I'm on linux with Proton GE 9.4, and after the black screen my display manager restarts and promts me to log in again. Ryzen 5 2600 + Radeon RX 580

do any of you have logs?

anything at c:\windows\minidump

it sounds like you are running into a hard stop with the rendering engine of the game.

look at these locations for crash dumps from the game
1. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Project8Staging\game\bin\win64\project8_*_*_*_*_*.mdmp",
2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\dumps\crash_project8.exe_*_*.dmp";

FYI I doubt this is an AMD specific thing, I'm running AMD Ryzen 5700X3D

another edit, for those on windows you could try restarting the video card drive to try and recover the display: Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B

this restarts the video card driver and may get you a dump of what it's getting hung up on, based on what I have seen so far in the past is the video card can't render the next frame fast enough for the game engine and so the video card gets a hard stop on output. At least for those that I have had a chance to look at the dumps for.

Last edited:
so far, i've had luck by swapping to vulkan, setting it to windowed, and turning the performance Way Down. haven't had a blackscreen in about a week I think?

Has it stayed that way?

I have tried undervolting, graphics down, vulcan. all black screens for me.
I just had this twice last game

trying to alt+f4 while monitors are black caused my pc to beep at my repeatedly
Yeah I’ve only crashed once in about 50 games since undervolting.

If you restart your pc you need to reapply the undervolt in msi afterburner.

Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI?
I'm about to change from DisplayPort to HDMI as I have had similar problems with my display going out of range.

Last night I unplugged my second monitor and just used my main monitor and had zero black screens.
Not the most optimal solutions but still better than being black screened during matches.

Happenned to me 2 times in single match. In-game situations were different.
Got full black-screen. Sound stopped. PC fans gone crazy with max speed. No response to any keys. Only hard reset helped.
PC: 14700k and 3060ti

Dump files attached.

Happenned to me 2 times in single match. In-game situations were different.
Got full black-screen. Sound stopped. PC fans gone crazy with max speed. No response to any keys. Only hard reset helped.
PC: 14700k and 3060ti

Dump files attached.
Found out that this was common issue in any 3D application due to overheated videocard. Issue firstly appeared in Deadlock.

Back