Visual Bugs on Ubuntu with Intel GPU

While playing with an Intel Arc A750 on Linux, the game is generally unstable, and has obvious visual bugs:
image.png

image.png

This GPUInfo report: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayreport.php?id=32194 is my system. Happy to post any other program outputs you'd like me to.

Linking a Windows driver for a Linux computer is unfortunately not helpful. The Ubuntu driver on the Intel website hasn't been updated in months:

1723814436332.png

So downloading this would probably downgrade my drivers. Would have a better time compiling and installing from Mesa myself.

Thanks for accidentally binging my attention to the images being broken, though.

1723814344228.png

1723814358631.png
1723814503336.png
1723814516946.png

I wrote about this in a different thread since a lot of people seem to have issues with the graphical rendering pipeline integration of the vulkan renderer. So what you have to do is.

Step 1. Downgrade to version 415.68 nvidia drivers, if youre an amd you will need to fetch the latest patches from the kernel repository around 2023 at october since the newer linux kernel drivers are kinda messed up because of amd.

Step 2. If you are on kde you have to uninstall the compositor and compile the latest one from here https://github.com/KDE/kwin.
I would recommend to build with -O3 for lower latency.

Step 3. If you have any desktop icons on your desktop remove them immediately since kde has a weird bug that they still havent fixed where vulkan applications are flickering. Gnome should be fine however due to certain circumstances you may have to uninstall your extensions.

Step 4. Check the console if theres a lot of warnings showing up please type clear it will help with the framerate probably some printf crt c runtime bug from the latest arch linux kernel version.

Let me know if that fixed your issue.

I have the same issue with intel Iris XE, it's clearly not restrticted to just ARC
I'm on fedora, with the Mate desktop, so it's not a KDE or ubuntu issue either, and probably not one of not having the latest drivers
also. vulkan flat out does not load on my system.

omputer Information:​

Manufacturer: LENOVO
Model: LNVNB161216
Form Factor: Laptop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:​

CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x8c
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 4700 MHz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
Hyper-threading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Supported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Supported
AVX512VNNI: Supported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:​

Fedora Linux 40 (MATE-Compiz) (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 6.10.3-200.fc40.x86_64
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12014000
X Window Manager: Metacity (Marco)
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20240610.91380

Video Card:​

Driver: Intel Mesa Intel(R) Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 24.1.5
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x9a49
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 12.17" x 6.85" (13.94" diag), 30.9cm x 17.4cm (35.4cm diag)
Primary VRAM Not Detected

Sound card:​

Audio device: Realtek ALC257

Memory:​

RAM: 15783 Mb

VR Hardware:​

VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:​

UI Language: English
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 374390 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 32310 MB

Storage:​

Number of SSDs: 1
SSD sizes: 512G
Number of HDDs: 0
Number of removable drives: 1
Removable drive sizes: 31G
Compare Your HardwareClose

Last edited:
Another one with Iris Xe here, same issues.

I found that enabling Proton fixed the dark effects on terrain, but hero characters are still invisible.

We don't have nVidia or AMD drivers, so unless someone can recomment some MESA drivers or modify the Vulkan engine, we might just be out of luck.

I can reproduce on my system too - steam system info dump is (slightly shortened)
I have the dark textures when using DX11, but on Vulkan I only have various models randomly missing.
Running on Proton Experimental and with the launch options gamemoderun %command% -vulkan
Source 2 should be able to build for Linux native (DOTA2, CS2, Aperture Desk Job i guess) - so I remain hopeful that we should get a native build.
In some ways I regret my Arc purchase (there are a lot of bugs that just don't occur on nVidia or AMD), but apart from with various proton things, this GPU is pretty powerful.

Code:
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Model: MPG B650 EDGE WIFI (MS-7E10)
Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 6-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x19
CPU Model: 0x61
CPU Stepping: 0x2
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 5170 MHz
12 logical processors
6 physical processors
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Supported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Supported
AVX512VNNI: Supported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported
Operating System Version:
"Arch Linux" (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 6.9.3-arch1-1
X Window Manager: Hyprland :D
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20240610.91380
Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) Arc(tm) A750 Graphics (DG2)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 24.1.1-arch1.1
OpenGL Version: 4.6
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x164e
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
Primary VRAM: 8128 MB
Sound card:
Audio device: Intel DG2 HDMI
Memory:
RAM: 31242 Mb
Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: en_US.UTF-8

I'll add my thread as an additional resource

@uwuSiri I kind of started feeling that way as well, though my exact experience feels like the cards while good on Linux against Windows 1-2 years ago, they got somewhat stagnant as far as I understand a few things (though might be wrong). Still if not one game, there's plenty others so I don't despair.

Not to offtop, the issue seems to still remain, but now playing around with other characters, I notice a thing that might not be a huge secret here, but I think it hasn't been noted in the thread yet. There's a number of heroes who are actually visible, even if somewhat see-through. From my testing these are:
  • Abrams
  • Dynamo
  • Haze
  • Infernus
  • Ivy (as an example in attachments)
  • Lady Geist
  • Lash
  • Paradox
  • Shiv
  • Vindicta
  • Viscous
  • Warden
  • as a honorable mention characters who have some local effect going on, such as Seven or Wraith
Interestingly it's more than a half of all available.
I honestly thought that maybe that's some z-index issue as apparently minions are visible, but they then get covered by stuff like some window textures. But I'm not sure if that explains why some hero models are visible and others are not. It might also be some more complex issue where the above is true together with other factors, but it's all just guessing games.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240903_192934.png
    Screenshot_20240903_192934.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 4
I've fixed it, here's how to do it:

Back