PC Mouse causing FPS drops and lag spikes - Polling rate issue (hz)

Domineeriv

Hiya!

I have found out a very weird "bug", which seems to be happening across multiple games of mine - even in Deadlock. I have pinpointed the issue to stem from my PC's mouse. I highly suspect it could be influenced by my other components bottlenecking, but I've not been able to rule it out yet due to limited resources on my end.

TLDR: I have the Endgame Gear OP1 8K, advertised as a mouse for people who play FPS games. Briefly, the average gaming mouse has a polling rate of 1k, while this has 8k: in layman's terms, it sends the PC way more frequently update requests where the cursor is and does.

I used to play all my games with 800 CPI @ 8K hz settings on the mouse, but for some reason it would cause massive lag spikes and absolutely tank my FPS any time I moved my mouse around. I only figured this out after I found a very obscure thread on a Minecraft forum detailing this exact same issue: "any time I move my mouse, my fps drops". To explain how bad it tanks my FPS; after I found the thread, I lowered my settings to 500 CPI @ 1k hz, and my games finally gave me around 50-60fps on average, while before I was playing with massive FPS drops but an estimated 30-40fps average in Deadlock.

It could be very well my PC being outdated, but I asked around and some people said the higher polling rate causes issues to them too. So I'm putting it as a potential bug report, as I guess there could be more FPS players with the same mouse or similar stats and same issue.

---

How to duplicate:
  1. Plug in PC mouse with factory settings (in my case, 800 CPI @ 8k hz - 1.00 sens in Deadlock).
  2. Load into any game
  3. Move mouse around in-game
→ The result should be that the FPS is dropping and it is lagging when you move your mouse around.

---

How to currently "fix":
  1. Lower polling rate on mouse via firmware
→ The result should be that it does not lag anymore, oir as much as before.

---

Below are my PC stats which are heavily watered down, but I am including them just in case as they could be cause a bottleneck. I do not run an overclocked system.

PC stats:
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING X 12G
  • ASRock x470 Taichi
  • G.Skill Trident 16GB, 2x 8GB DDR4-3200mhz (1600Mhz)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
  • Samsung EVO 500GB 750 SSD [primary - Deadlock installed on it]
  • Seasonic Platinum Plus 80, 660w
  • 64-bit Windows 10 Home edition, version 10.0.19045 - build 19045

You honestly never need more than 1000Hz polling rate as that is already an overkill with no benefit to you or any human. Don't believe bullshit or think you can "feel" mouse position in a fraction of a millisecond man.

Back