Input buffering not working as showcased

G. R. T.

Please correct me if I'm wrong I would love to utilize input buffering if possible. Particularly on Yamato.
They added Input buffering on October 10th and have an example video of Yamato inputting her 3rd skill and buffering her 1st skill to be used directly after.
With the following description.

- Added input buffering for ability usage (so if you cast an ability and then quickly cast another ability during its cast time, the next one will fire instead of the input being dropped)

However I haven't been able to replicate this at all on my end. I've asked two friends to attempt to replicate what happens in the video as well and they haven't been able to do it either. I've changed multiple settings including quick cast, confirm cast, instant cast, default settings, default hotkeys, even video settings, vsync, just about everything.
If anyone knows how to consistently do what the video showcases please let me know, if this is a bug, then I hope it gets fixed soon, would love to utilize this.

Attachments

Alright, so this was something I was invested in testing and did so, here's my conclusion: I'm able to consistently buffer inputs off of Yamato's third ability, including buffering her first ability off of her third ability. That said, the buffer window is very small, but I am entirely certain that I'm getting input buffering and not making inputs after the ability has ended. If it is important, I'm using instant cast.

When considering input buffering for a game, one always needs to consider the window they would allow an input to be buffered, buffer windows that are too big can feel as clunky as no buffering at all, and I believe in Yamato's case, her third ability takes long enough to perform that buffering her first ability at the beginning of the third ability's start would on occasion feel clunky. When input buffering is implemented, usually it is given a buffering window within the latter part of other animations, most frequently after the active frames of an attack.

In the sense that buffering is in fact working, I'd say the problem you have issue with is how small the buffering window is, and to be honest I agree, it is a very small window that perhaps the devs may want to consider lengthening. I myself have noticed that the input buffering update was a huge QoL improvement when it comes to refresher and echo shard in particular.

Attachments

@Dezvul Thank you for the thorough response! I think you might be right, rewatching the example video they press 1 towards the end of the 3rd skill's animation. The wording they used is what confused me I think, as I was hoping it was more similar to Shift queuing in Dota 2 based on that.

"if you cast an ability and then quickly cast another ability during its cast time, the next one will fire instead of the input being dropped"

The "quickly cast" part made me think I could press 1 immediately after 3 and it would just work. But I see now that it doesn't seem to be the case. Ideally for people like me they add a buffer window slider that we can customize. I appreciate the help!

Back