Hero Concept - Flayer

joeinky

Other Hero Ideas
Boss Ironjaw
:- https://project8.dev/threads/boss-ironjaw-crocodilian-rum-runner-wrestler.3522/

Initial Idea
I love the diversity of the cast so far, but with the setting being so intertwined with the idea of the occult and magical entities from other planes, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't have any characters that leaned into the more horror aspects of the occult and that Ivy was the only member of the cast so far that is a mgical creature. So for my first hero idea I wanted to create something that would bring those qualities to the table and that would allow for abilities that differentiate it from the rest of the cast - enter Flayer!

None of the numbers posted here have had a massive amount of thought put into them, they're more of a general approximation to give you a feel for how the abilities could be used.

Hero Background
The Mind Flayers are a race of magical creatures that have been on earth for 1000s of years and predate the reawakening of magic that occurred 50 years ago.

For Millenia, the Mind Flayers had lived on earth, draining the magical energy of lesser beings. The stolen magical energy was used for many things, sustenance, power, and to offer as tribute to their drowned god.

But as magic started to leave the world, their power and their god began to weaken, leading to the race having to retreat to the depths for hibernation and to await a time where magic returns to the world.

The Maelstrom then, was like a psychic beacon that awakened the Mind Flayer race, beckoning them towards the surface world where magical energy is at a higher level than it's ever been after decades of misuse.

[Incomprehensible] is one such Mind Flayer who returned to the surface world, they have a name but it tends to break the minds of lesser beings so we'll just call them Flayer. Taking up residence in an arc-sanitorium (a place for the magically insane) off the coast of Britain. A lack of funding and poor treatment of the patients created the perfect hunting ground for Flayer, able to use their skills of deception to avoid being discovered for years, draining the patients daily with any complaints or sightings being shrugged off as the ramblings of madmen. Of course, all good things must come to an end, and after a disturbingly high amount of patient deaths, an investigation was started that led to the discovery and eventual banishment of Flayer.

Now, completely cut off from entering Britain due to an especially powerful warding spell, Flayer has decided to bring their talents to the US nation, where reckless individualism and a distinct lack of regulations have led to an explosion in both the use of magic and the number of magically gifted individuals, a prime feeding ground for the Flayer.

Visual Design
Flayer would have a somewhat typical Mind Flayer design as seen in D&D, Baldur's Gate, Demon's Souls etc, adorned with jewelry from the deep in the form of weird tentacles and shells, his weapon would be a pair of gauntlets that glow with a sickly etheral light and chain to his waist would be a rusted iron cage much like the mensis cage from bloodborne, covered in runes. I ain't great at drawing anything with human proportions and I'm not resorting to AI generated slop, so have some reference images from the internet of Mind Flayers and head cages:

latest

tumblr_o6eq0iPJSo1tuldrqo1_1280.jpg

ryan-todd-mindflayer-screen-shot.jpg

General Gameplay Concept
Flayer is a hero focused around the accumulation of spirit, some slight lockdown, and deceiving their enemies with their ult. They start out somewhat frail with the lowest base HP in the game, but they become more powerful the more they drain spirit from their enemies and the more permanent spirit they gain by killing enemies under certain conditions.

Weapon
Instead of a traditional gun, Flayer is able to fashion psychic energy into projectiles via their magical gauntlets. Has an average rate of fire and damage, but one thing that sets their weapon apart is its alt-fire.
Instead of zooming in, right-click would instead allow Flayer to focus energy into his next shot, the longer it is charged, the more ammo it uses (up to a limit of 10). Damage and hitbox size would scale with the charge level, +50% damage and size for each level of charge. The downside to charging would be that the projectile speed scales inversely with the charge level, getting slower the more it charges. So if you want to shoot a more damaging shot, you need to be in close range or lead your shots.

Base Stats
Weapon

flayer_weapon.png

Vitality
flayer_vitality.png

Abilities

flayer_ability1.png

Flayer projects a spirit tentacle into the targeted enemy's mind, creating a psychic link that breaks when the enemy gets too far away from them (doesn't require line of sight).
Each second, Flayer drains spirit from the enemy and adds it to their own, this is capable of reducing the targeted enemy's spirit into negative values, at the end of the buff duration, any stolen spirit is returned to it's owner.
If an enemy hero dies whilst under this effect, Flayer permanently gains 1 spirit (it is not stolen from the enenmy's spirit)

flayer_ability2.png

Flayer shoots a projectile at their target that embeds a fragment of the drowned god onto their soul, drawing an abyssal tentacle to latch onto them.
For the duration of the debuff, the targeted hero is unable to jump and, if they were in the air when hit with the ability, they are quickly pulled down towards the ground and stunned based on the distance travelled.
If hit in the air they still have full horizontal motion and are not stunned until they hit the ground, they just aren't able to gain any height.

flayer_ability3.png

Flayer passively projects a psychic barrier around themself that is capable of absorbing a percentage of all sources of damage taken and applying it to the shield instead

flayer_ability4.png

Flayer throws the cage they carry at a targeted enemy hero, which clasps around their head and fills them with the voices of madmen.
For the duration of the debuff, the targeted enemy hero has all of their damage output reduced by 50% and takes damage over time.

The damage dealt per second increases each second up to a maximum limit, each increase is equal to 1 sixth of the max damage, so it increases linearly to the max damage. The amount of damage dealt (after reductions) also heals your psychic barrier for a certain amount.

While affected by the ability, all heroes appear as featureless, ghostly apparitions to the target, with no healthbars visible, making it harder for them to tell who they're aiming at for the duration.

Last edited:
Updated select parts of the concept and added some visuals in the style of the game so that it's a bit more visually interesting to read through than a massive wall of text.

Last edited:
I like the ult theme, but I think it would be better if the player/enemy models were silhouetted (and HP bars missing) or something, being able to teamkill is a bit much. Their fed carry suddenly unable to tell what hero they're shooting at, or at least not being able to target the low HP/weaker players easily in a teamfight would be more than enough.

Last edited:
I like the ult theme, but I think it would be better if the player/enemy models were silhouetted (and HP bars missing) or something, being able to teamkill is a bit much. Their fed carry suddenly unable to tell what hero they're shooting at, or at least not being able to target the low HP/weaker players easily in a teamfight would be more than enough.

Yeah I could see that, obviously things could be workshopped and this isn't actually in the game so it doesn't matter too much.

My thinking there was that the damage reduction (which would affect bullets, melee and abilities) would be the thing that stops it being about enemies team killing each other as much and more about causing chaos in team fights or turning a Dynamo or Seven ult against themselves, it wouldn't stop them from killing their enemies but it might also get some of their team in the crossfire.

Thinking about it more though, the damage reduction could be higher and basically negating the damage reduction and making them do 50% increased damage with the AP5 upgrade would probably be way too powerful.

While I do really like the idea of being able to cause chaos with the friendly fire, maybe a different way to go about it would be to remove the damage reduction and friendly fire, and instead silhouette everyone, remove healthbars and instead of the damage reduction, have it so each tick of damage regenerates the psychic barrier by that amount, sort of looping it back into the idea of the character feeding off of the madness.

Back