Feedback for the Brazilian Portuguese hero names

magn0

1723767785502.png
I made a post on the UI section with this before seeing there was a section specific for it added, my apologies. Also I don't know if I should write in english or portuguese here, I will just copy and paste the other thread I made in the UI section that is already in english, please delete that one.

Shiv -> Adaga: This is fine, but in some cases, like in Dota, people can get used to an english name depending of the content they watch online or whatever many other factors. It can be confused since a lot of people play in english too.
Haze -> Bruma: This fits nicely, "Bruma" is not a common word at all, but has a nice ring to it and is similar to a common name.
Ivy -> Hera: This one feels unnecessary, Ivy is a good name already. I understand the localizers were going for "Hera-venenosa"/"Poison-Ivy" association, but having names drastically different from the original can lead to confusion since a lot of people do play in english too.
Wraith -> Espectra: Straight up the literal translation, can be good, but unnecessary, like with Shiv and Ivy.
Grey Talon -> Garra Cinza: This one just sounds bad, I don't know what else to say.
Pocket -> Mala: This is good and kinda funny, if you decide to go for translating the character names/titles, this is a good one. "Mala" in Brazil can be a slang for an annoying person, a little rascall, a pain in the ass. It doesn't fit his lore and character, but fits for how it feels to play against him, it kind of works in that regard.
Dynamo/Paradox/Seven/Viscous -> Dínamo/Paradoxa/Sete/Viscoso: These are just translations that sound good and don't change much, there are no negative sides to them, should be kept regardless in my opinion.
Warden -> Guardião: This one is a bit weird, I think just "Guarda" would fit better, more common word which has the same meaning and flows better because it's shorter.
Lash -> Chico: This one is a banger, everything about it works AND it's hilarious. Keep it if the idea for the character is to be funny and more on the "meme" side, I think he's a funny character(not a joke character), so I think this fits.
Lady Geist?: The fact that her name did not get translated at all tells me that it's okay to have some english words in some names, so why not keep some? Grey Talon is a good one to keep, Wraith is alright too, and I think Shiv is not a problem either.

I would like to add that I know a lot of things are placeholder, I know the names are sometimes actually titles or like a "battle name" or something, so it makes sense to translate them. But as I mentioned in the Shiv/Ivy part, having fewer variations for the names in different countries have the benefit of making lots of things less confusing overall for players during matches giving callouts or just talking about the game anywhere. Using Dota as an example again, it's not a problem to have hero names like Morphling, Snapfire, Warlock, Broodmother, etc. It's fine to keep english words in names! People will not pronnounce them perfectly but they understand them and it creates an universal identity for the characters. Thanks for the translation, hope my feedback can be useful!

id say to change krill to grill, because you know. grilling bacon lol. would be funny.
and like no one would say the champ name by the the/e in the middle so just calling him mo grill in portuguese is kinda a way of saying someone is grilling good which is also slightly funny.

instead of guardião just call him officer, like a police officer "oficial".

kelvin to Gelado, its from the incredibles, frozone is his original name, but Gelado is just very cold in pt-br would fit well enough with him.

mcginnis DEFINETELY needs a better name its fairly hard to say it out loud, i can see people calling her guiness because of the record book brand being easier to pronnounce in pt br. just straight up a more strong woman name or just mechanic/Mecanica would fit well enough.

wraith to Ghost/fantasma would fit better, espectra or specter is a word that i believe totally does not fit what the character looks, neither does ghost but ghost/fantasma sounds more recognizeable.

shiv to machete/Facão, in ptbr it sounds more agressive and deadly even if its totally not the same weapon whatsoever, besides being a very well know name around due to people using it to go around forests.

id say to change krill to grill, because you know. grilling bacon lol. would be funny.
and like no one would say the champ name by the the/e in the middle so just calling him mo grill in portuguese is kinda a way of saying someone is grilling good which is also slightly funny.

instead of guardião just call him officer, like a police officer "oficial".

kelvin to Gelado, its from the incredibles, frozone is his original name, but Gelado is just very cold in pt-br would fit well enough with him.

mcginnis DEFINETELY needs a better name its fairly hard to say it out loud, i can see people calling her guiness because of the record book brand being easier to pronnounce in pt br. just straight up a more strong woman name or just mechanic/Mecanica would fit well enough.

wraith to Ghost/fantasma would fit better, espectra or specter is a word that i believe totally does not fit what the character looks, neither does ghost but ghost/fantasma sounds more recognizeable.

shiv to machete/Facão, in ptbr it sounds more agressive and deadly even if its totally not the same weapon whatsoever, besides being a very well know name around due to people using it to go around forests.
Krill is actually a mole!

🇧🇷 Na minha opinião, eu acho interessante manter os nomes originais dos personagens, quem já está a algum tempo no jogo, já se acostumou ou já decorou todos os nomes em inglês, seria chato ter que decorar tudo de novo. Além de ajudar a reconhecer todos os personagens mundialmente, a Valve tem o costume de deixar os nomes dos personagens em inglês. Caso não seja inviável retorna os nomes para o inglês americano, recomendaria deixar uma nota de rodapé com o nome original do personagem embaixo do nome adaptado como uma forma de orientação entre os idiomas.

Queria recomendar também a troca da tradução do "Walkers", na tradução brasileira ficou "Andadores", eu recomendaria "Andantes", pois o "dan" dá uma ar de algo grande/grandioso, sem contar que dependendo da pessoa, a palavra "Andadores" pode se arremeter ao aparelho de apoio para pessoas que tem dificuldade de locomoção, se trocasse para "Andantes", esse significado poderia ser distanciado, além disso tudo, se você pesquisar no google "Andantes de brinquedo" vocês iram achar brinquedos que se assemelham com o "Walker", sei que é um ponto bobo, mas acho interessante ressaltá-lo também:
Captura de tela 2024-08-17 154231.png

🇺🇸 In my opinion, I think it's interesting to keep the characters' original names, as those who have been playing for a while are already used to or have memorized all the names in English. It would be frustrating to have to learn everything again. Besides helping to recognize all the characters worldwide, Valve usually keeps the character names in English. If it is not unfeasible to revert the names to American English, I would recommend adding a footnote with the original name of the character below the adapted name as a way of bridging the languages.

I would also like to recommend changing the translation of "Walkers", which was translated into Brazilian Portuguese as "Andadores". I would suggest "Andantes", because "dan" gives a sense of something big/grandiose. Not to mention that depending on the person, the word "Andadores" might be associated with a support device for people who have difficulty walking. By switching to "Andantes", this association could be avoided. Additionally, if you search on Google for "Andantes de brinquedo", you'll find toys that resemble the "Walker." I know it's a minor point, but I think it's worth mentioning as well:

Captura de tela 2024-08-17 154231.png

Last edited:
a Valve tem o costume de deixar os nomes dos personagens em inglês.
Se não me engano, desde o Artifact eles estão traduzindo o nome dos personagens. Há quem goste e quem não goste, mas por exemplo, no caso do Dota, existe um personagem chamado Mars que é literalmente o deus Marte da mitologia - o que fazer nesse caso? Sou suspeito a dizer que o óbvio seria traduzir, porque o comum é relacioná-lo ao deus da mitologia, e não ao nome original.

Sobre Andantes, eu recomendaria pra equipe trocar pra Andarilho, andante não soa muito bem, nem andador (sempre penso numa pessoa idosa com andador).

Se não me engano, desde o Artifact eles estão traduzindo o nome dos personagens. Há quem goste e quem não goste, mas por exemplo, no caso do Dota, existe um personagem chamado Mars que é literalmente o deus Marte da mitologia - o que fazer nesse caso? Sou suspeito a dizer que o óbvio seria traduzir, porque o comum é relacioná-lo ao deus da mitologia, e não ao nome original.

Sobre Andantes, eu recomendaria pra equipe trocar pra Andarilho, andante não soa muito bem, nem andador (sempre penso numa pessoa idosa com andador).
Sobre o Artifact, eu não sabia sobre esse detalhe, pensava que a Valve continuava mantendo os nomes em inglês. Em relação aos nomes dos personagens, é algo bem complicado de se dizer, cada caso é um caso, mas como eu disse "Caso não seja inviável retornar os nomes para o inglês americano, recomendaria deixar uma nota de rodapé com o nome original do personagem embaixo do nome do personagem que foi adaptado como uma forma de orientação entre os idiomas.", e essa recomendação eu daria para o seu exemplo do deus Marte, ex.:

Marte​

Nome do personagem em inglês: Mars

Em relação ao Walker, acho que varia de pessoa pra pessoa a tradução do Walker, quando eu estava traduzindo a versão não oficial do jogo, já li muitas pessoas recomendando vários nomes (Andador, Andante, Andarilho, Vagante, etc...). Sem uma lore mais aprofundado da criatura, é bem difícil bater o martelo e dizer qual será o nome dele. No seu caso, quando eu estava traduzindo a versão não oficial da tradução do jogo, já ouvi várias pessoas falando que Andarilho não seria bom, pois passaria a ideia de que essa criatura iria se deslocar sem rumo ao longo do mapa, coisa que a criatura não faz, ela apenas bate no chão com suas pernas para atordoar inimigos, ou dá alguns pequenos passos para conseguir acertar o seu raio em algum alvo inimigo, caso ela mate ou o inimigo fique fora do seu campo de visão, ela volta para o mesmo local que ela estava inicialmente.

Last edited:
ok tipo, sei que sou pt pt mas, andarilho nao é o que as pessoas de idade usam para se deslocar? XD
Andante fica muito melhor que andarilho, andarilho parece um diminutivo de algo.

ja agora, como o Lyristhecat disse, mudem o nome kelvin para Gelado, ficava perfeito

ok tipo, sei que sou pt pt mas, andarilho nao é o que as pessoas de idade usam para se deslocar? XD
Andante fica muito melhor que andarilho, andarilho parece um diminutivo de algo.

Pior que pra PT-BR "Andador" é o que as pessoas de idade usam para se deslocar, ou para quem tem dificuldade de locamoção. XD XD XD

Warden acho que geralmente traduzem como Diretor (da prisão), como acho que é o caso.

Lady Geist precisa mudar se é pra ser localizado mesmo... Senhora Geist talvez?

Garra Cinza eu gostei.

Lash e Pocket eu não saberia como localizar direito.

Ivy a princípio não entendi porque sou inculto, mas agora faz sentido e achei bom.

Acho que devemos levar em conta que a localização é uma decisão global e não apenas aqui pro Brasil, então o melhor é tentar fazer da forma mais bem localizada possível. Quem não quer localizado sempre usa em inglês mesmo

Só achei esse "pocket = mala" tão preguiçoso. Pocket me dá a impressão que ele tem uma pocket dimension dentro da mala ou alguma coisa assim. Mala é só pq ele carrega uma por aí.

Só achei esse "pocket = mala" tão preguiçoso. Pocket me dá a impressão que ele tem uma pocket dimension dentro da mala ou alguma coisa assim. Mala é só pq ele carrega uma por aí.
No caso do Pocket, eu acharia interessante se fosse "Maleiro", é bem melhor do que apenas "Mala"
Captura de tela 2024-08-20 121322.png

To keep this in 1 topic:

About Walkers: in PT-BR i think the best words is 'Vagante' or 'Errante'. 'Errante' is an uncommon word - i think many people doesnt even know what it means but 'Vagante' is way more common and keep the same idea of Walker.
About Pocket: It's pretty hard to choose but 'Mala' is bad for character design. 'Maleiro' fits better.
About Grey Talon: Is a nice translate once this is an indigenous name. 'Garra Cinza' fits nice to it meaning.
About Warden: 'Guarda' is perfect to his visuals. PT-BR Warden could mean something like 'Jailer' too. But i think his visuals is more accessible to people recognize as 'Guarda'.

Now lets talk about a difference between 'names' and 'meanings'.
'Haze' sounds like a name. A real name. I could imagine someone called Haze. So we should not translate it - even if it has a meaning to other languages.
It's something like someone is called 'Aurora' but you translate it to english as 'Dawn'. Or something like 'Muerta' from Dota 2 in english her name is 'Dead'. Got it?
I think this is VERY IMPORTANT to create a logical way to translate/localizate things.

So, from this perspective, some characters should not be translated in my opinion like:
Haze; Ivy; Shiv.

Me too, I prefer if names kept in the original language. Imagine if we were reading a book and jon snow was translated to "João das neves"? It helps with callouts also a lot. Maybe skills are fine to be translated (though I prefer if their name were't also)

Warden acho que geralmente traduzem como Diretor (da prisão), como acho que é o caso.

Lady Geist precisa mudar se é pra ser localizado mesmo... Senhora Geist talvez?

Garra Cinza eu gostei.

Lash e Pocket eu não saberia como localizar direito.

Ivy a princípio não entendi porque sou inculto, mas agora faz sentido e achei bom.

Acho que devemos levar em conta que a localização é uma decisão global e não apenas aqui pro Brasil, então o melhor é tentar fazer da forma mais bem localizada possível. Quem não quer localizado sempre usa em inglês mesmo
Se eu entendi bem a razão por trás do Lash/Chico é bem ruim o motivo. Lash vem do Chicote, é uma versão reduzida de chicote para chico (que no brasil é conhecido como um apelido para franciscos). Eu entendi a razão, mas eu acho que é mais confuso do que qualquer coisa. É o tipo de coisa que eu aceitaria com mais facilidade se fosse um jogo dublado, que eu imagino que a valve não vai fazer. Ter esse tipo de piada para o personagem com o pessoal dizendo "I see lash" é só fraco...

Se eu entendi bem a razão por trás do Lash/Chico é bem ruim o motivo. Lash vem do Chicote, é uma versão reduzida de chicote para chico (que no brasil é conhecido como um apelido para franciscos). Eu entendi a razão, mas eu acho que é mais confuso do que qualquer coisa. É o tipo de coisa que eu aceitaria com mais facilidade se fosse um jogo dublado, que eu imagino que a valve não vai fazer. Ter esse tipo de piada para o personagem com o pessoal dizendo "I see lash" é só fraco...
Lash deveria ser traduzido como Beto Carrero (estou sendo irônico)

they should 100% keep the original names for the characters and nothing else, like every other game does. all it's going to do is isolate us and alienate the south american playerbase even more in the future when it comes to content creation and sharing experiences in general. I'm a big fan of the translated names (most of them anyway) but it's not a good ideia marketing wise, imo. plus they sound kind of silly and jokey

Last edited:
I think Valve's intention of wanting to translate the names is cool, but I personally think it's interesting to keep the characters' original names, it's good to maintain the standard for creating and identifying builds and Lore, for example.

Back