Demoman/Demoknight Hero

Douglas

I've been thinking a lot about this idea, and I think you can make it work while fitting with Deadlock's art style. With the Eyelander, Demoman can fit in with a lot of the soul iconography. And for lore justification, I don't know, maybe a shard of him transfers to an alternate dimension due to Merasmus or something.

The gameplay concept for him translated into Deadlock is that he has a mixture of splash damage nuker abilities alongside being one of the rare, maybe first heroes to have scaling melee damage embedded into their kit. He would hopefully evoke the feelings of what he plays like in TF2 while also making sense mechanically within the gameplay style of Deadlock.

Weapon: The Demoman uses the latent soul energy coming from his Eyelander to deal medium to short ranged attacks. He can use his standard fire to deal a slash of energy. Similar to Abram's rate of fire, range and damage but in a single damage instance instead of as a shotgun spread. He also has a right click that has a slower rate of fire, but has better range and fall-off.

1. Grenade Launcher

Shoots a pipe that deal high damage and knockback on a direct hit. It can also roll on the ground on a miss, but deals a bit less damage. The knockback and damage can also happen to Demoman, but it'd be hard to trigger without it being something like a direct hit at point blank.
Starts off with 2 charges. High cooldown. High spirit scaling.

1: Low Cooldown Reduction
2: +2 Charges
5: High Damage Boost

2. Stickybomb Launcher

Upon activation, the Demoman pulls out their Stickybomb Launcher. Left click places a sticky bomb, which stays there as a trap for a long period of time (but not longer than the cooldown of the ability baseline). They automatically detonate when any enemy comes into range, dealing high damage.
The clusters are wide in range, unlike singular sticky bombs in TF2. More similar to Grey Talon's trap but 20-30% smaller in range.
The bombs have a short arm time, somewhere around a second-ish. Even with a short arm time, they could be dodged by an enemy hero if they react to the Demoman using it on them, such as dodging or having high enough movement speed to move away normally.
Can place up to 3 sticky bomb clusters. Ability lasts until the sticky bombs are placed, a short amount of time has passed, or the player has cancelled the ability.
Medium-high cooldown and high spirit scaling.

1: +1 Sticky Clusters
2: Medium Cooldown Reduction
5: Faster Arm Time and Improved Spirit Scaling

Notes: Idea behind this ability is that it would be easily avoidable if used in lane on a hero, but would be much harder in a chaotic teamfight. Also useful for waveclearing as well as blocking off doorways in areas outside of lane.

3. The Eyelander

Passive Ability. Demoman gains a small amount of weapon damage, spirit power, and melee damage.
Whenever Demoman secures or denies a soul, they get a stacking buff that increases the buffs from this passive. Stacks up to 5 times, and having full stacks is equal to doubling the amount of value you get out of your passive. Lasts for 30+ seconds, refreshes all stacks for every secure and deny.
Whenever you kill an enemy hero with your weapon or melee, you also get a stack that's permanent! These are absent from the max amount of stacks you get from securing and denying.

1: Increases values from stacks
2: Also gives stacking bullet and spirit resistance
5: Also gives stacking fire rate, cooldown reduction, and melee charge distance.

4. Chargin' Targe

Demoman charges forward until he hits an enemy hero, dealing high damage and sending them a tiny bit airborne on collision. The charge is similar to Abrams, but is much faster and covers a much larger amount of distance (something like three times the distance). After collision, gain a low-medium amount of damage resistance (20%ish)

1: +1 Duration
2: Medium Damage Increase
5: On collision, gain damage lifesteal (weapon, abilities, melee)

This idea has been on my mind for a long while. I've tried my best to keep it reminiscent of the TF2 character while still feeling like a proper addition to Deadlock on their own with a unique identity.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback!

Back