[CPU Profiling Details] FPS Drops

stalkermustang

Hi players & developers,
essentially this thread is my experience with https://project8.dev/threads/major-lag-spike-late-match.8112/
But I'd like to contribute some tech details & I hope people will post similar things here.

TLDR: turn on the turbo boost for your CPU.

Two days ago I bought a new laptop and tried to set everything up properly to play my favorite games.
I've been doing testing and debugging since not everything was working as I expected.
For example, turning On the Turbo Boost on my CPU (Intel Core i9-13900H) caused Apex Legends and Cyberpunk to run at high FPS, though it felt like Nvidia Frame Generation was turned on. By that I mean I saw 2-3 frames smooth, then a small pause, then new 2-3 frames, then a small pause. It was very annoying - the AVG FPS was >75 (>100 for Apex), though every flick and every camera rotation caused a headache.

Deadlock ran much better, and small spikes occurred only late in the game (not every game)- the laning and midfights were all good. The most major one happened when both teams were in the pit fighting for Weakened Patron, and there were a bunch of troopers. Without that,

Then I turned the Turbo Boost Off, settling at 2600MHz. Cyberpunk and Apex not only got higher AVG FPS, but the rotation problems and overall smoothness improved too. Sadly, in Deadlock it caused a little bit lower FPS, and most importantly some slowdowns and freezes in mid-game. I understand that the game is CPU-heavy, and of course, it's just an Alpha, and there's a lot of development under the hood, no questions here. Ima just trying to describe my experience here.

After playing around for some time with laptop settings, I decided to play every other game with Turbo Boost Off to avoid throttling. Now my experience is smooth (i tested like 5 other games, including DotA 2 on max settings - all good, no spikes, at least in 20-25 min Turbo games, where everyone buys a shit ton of items and casts spells without breaks).

In Deadlock, I have to play with Turbo boost - setting it off drops CPU freq, and hurts experience. I believe this is caused by optimization and multiprocessing issues - the game mostly uses just some CPUs, and in Turbo Boost the perf per core is much higher -> almost no issues. In case of a need a CPU core can easily do x1.5-2 and work out all the computations on its own (then throttle)
But other games and devs overcame problems, and I believe Deadlock will improve in the future.

Some screens:
As you can see, the load is just fucked across all cores. They are throttling too.
1722734093673.png1722734099705.png

I assume the drops here are my alt+tabs to Chrome/Discord.
1722734166367.png
1722734204975.png

Asus ROG Zephyrus M16 90NR0BW1-M002J0
CPU: Intel Core i9-13900H
RAM: 16GB DDR5 RAM
GPU: RTX 4070 8GB
1722734414689.png

Back