Breaking the Deadlock, a YouTube Tutorial Series for New Deadlock Players

schizug

Breaking the Deadlock Series Playlist

Welcome to my educational YouTube tutorial series, Breaking the Deadlock! My goal with this series is to help newer players overcome some common barriers and enhance their enjoyment of this super fun game. I want to make the initial steps toward mastering the game easier, especially for those with no prior MOBA experience. I was inspired to start this series after inviting some friends who hadn't played MOBAs before to join me in Deadlock, and they found it quite confusing. One of them said, "I'll just look up some guides before our next game," and I realized there weren't any available!

I'm looking to continue this series and cover more topics, so if you have any problem points in your game, feel free to ask about them, and I'll try to cover the broad topics. Feedback on the guides is welcomed and encouraged.

About Me:
I have over 400 hours in Deadlock and more than 6000 hours in Dota 2.
I frequently play in front page games (high MMR) when I queue into Deadlock games right now.
Although I never took ranked Dota very seriously, my current MMR is around 5k.

Episode 1: Laning Essentials To Come Out On Top
In this tutorial, we delve into essential laning objectives in Deadlock, such as last hitting, wave management, and buying items with purpose. The video starts with a discussion on the primary goal of laning: collecting souls. We then cover how to spend souls effectively and the advantages of accumulating more souls. The tutorial also includes detailed sections on wave management, techniques for last hitting and denying, and strategies for pressuring the enemy. Additionally, we discuss the importance of backing to spend souls and heal, upgrading abilities, and maximizing soul collection through jungling. To wrap up, we review these topics in action by analyzing gameplay from a high MMR player, providing practical examples of the discussed strategies.

Episode 2: How To Learn New Heroes
In this video, I share tips and tricks on how to learn new heroes and make sense of the replays you watch. Replays are a fantastic resource for understanding how to play new heroes, and I’ll guide you on how to find and analyze them effectively. I’ll also demonstrate intentional methods for taking notes on tips and tricks for specific heroes, which is a great way to improve your gameplay. Additionally, I’ll showcase the Discord section where community members post hero guides, as well as the in-game hero guides section.
High MMR Replay Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6qk6iKEH4w/edit?gid=1763834106#gid=1763834106

Episode 3: Getting Farmed While Having Impact
In this video, we dive deep into effective farming strategies, focusing on neutral camps—where they are, their strength, and their spawn timings. We'll explore additional sources of souls, including lane creeps, urns, boxes, towers, and the Sinner's Sacrifice. Discover who should be farming, and get insights on flash farming techniques, like using spells, multi-melee strategies, and breaking line of sight for efficient camp clearing. We'll also analyze in-game scenarios to help you make the crucial decision between fighting and farming.

Episode 4: Owning Shroud In The Midgame In Valve's Deadlock
In this episode, follow along with the crucial aspects of midgame play, where your decisions can tip the balance of the match. We explore how to understand the current state of the game and use that knowledge to make strategic plays. You'll learn about making space for your team, identifying and seizing opportunities, and the importance of fight locations on the map. We also cover advanced tactics such as kiting back to control the map, hunting for key picks using the rejuv, and the art of resetting fights to maintain momentum. Finally, we tie everything together by showing how these strategies cycle throughout the midgame, reinforcing the importance of continuous adaptation and map control.

Episode 5: Understanding Itemization
In this Deadlock tutorial/item guide, we explore the value of item slots and how scaling affects your hero. Learn how to buy items across all categories, with a special focus on Spirit items and their impact on gameplay. We provide practical advice on selling items for upgrades and dive deep into the specifics of Weapon, Vitality, and Spirit items, highlighting the key ones to focus on. By the end, you'll have the knowledge and skills to make smarter choices in Deadlock.

Episode 6: Going Midboss is How You Secure Wins
In this Deadlock guide, we break down everything you need to know about the midboss. Learn who the midboss is, why he's crucial, and when the right time is to fight him. We explain how to secure or steal the midboss with the right heroes and abilities. Discover the power of the rejuv, how it can turn the tide of battle, and the best strategies for taking down the midboss. Finally, we discuss what to do after securing the midboss to maximize your advantage.

Episode 7: How to Counter Each Hero
In this Deadlock guide, we dive deep into item counters and gameplay strategies to help you counter every hero in the game. Whether you're up against a fed hero with high net worth or just struggling with a tough matchup, this tutorial provides the tools and tactics you need to turn the game around. Learn how to outplay and outsmart your opponents with effective item choices and strategic gameplay to gain the upper hand in any situation.

Episode 8: Why Team MikaelS is the Best In Deadlock
In this analysis of the Aurora Deadlock Masters grand finals, we break down how Team MikaelS secured victory through strategic plays and teamwork. See how they secured souls, executed defensive plays, and used teamwork to dominate the tournament. Learn how their focus on objectives, map pressure, and adaptability in fights led to a significant net worth lead and the win.

Episode 9: How Deadlock Pros Farm Aggressively to Snowball Their Games
In this video, I break down how Team MikaelS applied map pressure through aggressive farming and early objective control to secure a soul lead. We analyze how farming the enemy’s side of the map contributed to their snowballing strategy, ultimately leading to their victory. Learn how these tactics can be applied to dominate your own games.

Episode 10:
Duplicate Souls with Double Soaking
In this video, I dive into the mechanics of double soaking in Deadlock—a strategy where early game rotations into adjacent lanes allow your team to duplicate souls. I break down the mathematics behind this technique, showing why it works and how it can give your team a significant advantage. You'll see real gameplay examples and map breakdowns illustrating how to execute these rotations effectively.

Last edited:
Okey. Thanks for answering. Because it was confusing since it gave me idea that you could see your actual MMR number. And I felt so stupid because I didnt find where to see it.

Watched the whole playlist that's out so far and found it super helpful! Two questions:

How do you load into the map by yourself; I assume there's a console command?

How should one play in all the different states of disadvantage in lane?

Owning Shroud In The Midgame In Valve's Deadlock
In this episode, follow along with the crucial aspects of midgame play, where your decisions can tip the balance of the match. We explore how to understand the current state of the game and use that knowledge to make strategic plays. You'll learn about making space for your team, identifying and seizing opportunities, and the importance of fight locations on the map. We also cover advanced tactics such as kiting back to control the map, hunting for key picks using the rejuv, and the art of resetting fights to maintain momentum. Finally, we tie everything together by showing how these strategies cycle throughout the midgame, reinforcing the importance of continuous adaptation and map control.

Really loving the itemization video. I have been struggling with how to keep my momentum rolling late game as my ELO goes up and I play against some real killers. This video is helping me realize -- sometimes the guides lead me to getting a bit of tunnel vision on how I build. I don't react by changing my build enough to who I'm against and what they're doing.

Talking about what items counter who was such a huge bonus.

Thanks, Schizug!

Understanding Itemization
In this Deadlock tutorial/item guide, we explore the value of item slots and how scaling affects your hero. Learn how to buy items across all categories, with a special focus on Spirit items and their impact on gameplay. We provide practical advice on selling items for upgrades and dive deep into the specifics of Weapon, Vitality, and Spirit items, highlighting the key ones to focus on. By the end, you'll have the knowledge and skills to make smarter choices in Deadlock.

Going Midboss is How You Secure Wins
In this Deadlock guide, we break down everything you need to know about the midboss. Learn who the midboss is, why he's crucial, and when the right time is to fight him. We explain how to secure or steal the midboss with the right heroes and abilities. Discover the power of the rejuv, how it can turn the tide of battle, and the best strategies for taking down the midboss. Finally, we discuss what to do after securing the midboss to maximize your advantage.

How to Counter Each Hero
In this Deadlock guide, we dive deep into item counters and gameplay strategies to help you counter every hero in the game. Whether you're up against a fed hero with high net worth or just struggling with a tough matchup, this tutorial provides the tools and tactics you need to turn the game around. Learn how to outplay and outsmart your opponents with effective item choices and strategic gameplay to gain the upper hand in any situation.

Back