Wrong resolution on Linux

Xinayder

When starting the game on Linux, it will open with the wrong resolution, resulting in a black bar on the bottom of the screen, moving all of the UI elements upwards and some of them being cut off. You can see on the picture below that the console and top right corner are cut off.Screenshot_20240531_000954.png

Code:
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model: PRIME B450M-GAMING/BR
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected
Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x71
CPU Stepping: 0x0
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 4208 MHz
12 logical processors
6 physical processors
Hyper-threading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported
Operating System Version:
"Arch Linux" (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 6.9.1-zen1-2-zen
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12401000
X Window Manager: KWin
Steam Runtime Version: <Runtime disabled>
Video Card:
Driver: AMD AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (radeonsi, navi22, LLVM 17.0.6, DRM 3.57, 6.9.1-zen1-2-zen)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 24.0.8-arch1.1
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 119 Hz
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x73df
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 20.87" x 11.81" (23.98" diag), 53.0cm x 30.0cm (60.9cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 12288 MB
Sound card:
Audio device: ATI R6xx HDMI
Memory:
RAM: 32006 Mb
VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected
Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 110601 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 6502 MB
Storage:
Number of SSDs: 5
SSD sizes: 3000G,1024G,1024G,1000G,120G
Number of HDDs: 0
Number of removable drives: 0

oh, and it's maybe also worth noting that the black bar/misalignment applies to the steam overlay as well? which surprised me

the resolution thing seems to inconsistent. sometimes it opens up the wrong resolution, other times it doesnt. it is still happening though

the resolution thing seems to inconsistent. sometimes it opens up the wrong resolution, other times it doesnt. it is still happening though
yeah, I spoke way too soon about it being resolved uh... 2.5 months ago. still happening here as well, but inconsistently.

not sure if anyone's posted DE info yet, I'm on KDE Plasma 6.1 though

Ubuntu 22.01 I had to downgrade my nvidia drivers to 420.26 and then one of gnome's packages had to be recompiled because of a regression https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/5941 I then had to also recompile my linux kernel because the nvidia drivers require a specific nvidia headless module integration package. Afterwards the game worked perfectly fine and I think I even have less latency.

I think it's a source 2 bug, the same thing happens in CS2. You can set the window mode to borderless fullscreen to work around it without changing the resolution every time.

At least for me using KDE, I don't see any performance difference when playing in a borderless fullscreen like in Windows.

I think it's a source 2 bug, the same thing happens in CS2. You can set the window mode to borderless fullscreen to work around it without changing the resolution every time.

At least for me using KDE, I don't see any performance difference when playing in a borderless fullscreen like in Windows.

I've never had this happen to me in CS2, and I can't get it to start happening, no matter what resolution or screen mode I use. Additionally, borderless fullscreen is the "default" selection for me.

CS2 has other display issues for me, most notably that if *launched* in borderless fullscreen, the window is "pushed" by my taskbar 44px to the right and bleeds onto my second monitor, but that curiously does not happen in Deadlock.

Another curiosity captured through the magic of launching the game a hundred times is that the valve logo is NOT affected by the shift (original video attached as well):
View attachment deadlock-shift.mp4

Edit:
System specs, copied from a different (related) bug report:
Arch linux, kernel linux-hardened 6.10.2
KDE Plasma 6.1.3 on Wayland, 2560x1080
CPU r9 7950x3d, GPU rx7900xtx, RAM 4x16gb ddr5@6200

Game version: 5,075
(happened on prior version as well, update came out during filing this report.)

Game specifics:
Only happens on native res, 2560x1080, borderless windowed
Any/all game-related graphics settings apply
Rendering backend: both vulkan and dx11 apply
No specific Proton version selected

Attachments

Last edited:
Back