(VIRUS-LIKE BUG) Mouse movement not getting registered (annoying af šŸ˜£)

• Thread starter Thread starter d4
  • Start date Start date

d4

Origin of the problem (written by my friend Andrew https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198155157866):

About 3 weeks ago after experiencing major ā€œspike lagsā€, I tried to press (ā€œmashā€) all the buttons on my keyboard to overload the processor to the max since it helps (for me) to put away the spike lags,
but accidentally I seem to have inputed a combination of ā€œbutton smashingā€ (it included random console commands) which disabled all/any of my mouse movement
I tried to reinstall the game and even all the steam files, but nothing helped

3 weeks later:
I tried logging into Andrewā€™s account from a different PC to test/help the problem ā€“ to no effect.
Surprisingly, even after switching back to by account (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198069767212/) the problem persisted and no mouse movement gets registered on my account now too :(

Even after finding a 3rd brand new PC and clean installing the game + logging with my account there - the ā€œbugā€ moved virus-like, now all mouse input is ignored there as wellā€¦

Video:

Attachments

Open Steam/userdata/<your steamid32>/1422450/remote/user_convars.vcfg, look for anything mouse related that's wrong, change it in the in-game console

Reactions: d4
So basically, both our steam accounts are deadlocked šŸ’€ from playing the game - and then if you log to any new steam account from our PCs - said account will receive the "bug" too and won't be able to participate in the playtest... ;(

Match ID of the original "button smashing" trigger event: 262949

Any help/advice in the comments down here would be appreciated as usual !!

Last edited:
Open Steam/userdata/<your steamid32>/1422450/remote/user_convars.vcfg, look for anything mouse related that's wrong, change it in the in-game console
Both me and my bug buddy are too silly to decode this but will appreciate any help:

user_convars.vcfg

"config"
{
"convars"
{
"cl_mouselook" "true"
"con_enable" "false"
"input_button_code_is_scan_code_scd" "true"
"input_force_english_local_key_names" "false"
"joy_axisr_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisr_relative" "false"
"joy_axisu_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisu_relative" "false"
"joy_axisv_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisv_relative" "false"
"joy_axisx_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisx_relative" "false"
"joy_axisy_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisy_relative" "false"
"joy_axisz_deadzone" "0.150000"
"joy_axisz_relative" "false"
"joy_circle_correct_mode" "1"
"joy_circle_correct_mode_vehicle" "2"
"joy_forward_sensitivity" "1.000000"
"joy_movement_stick" "false"
"joy_pitch_sensitivity" "3.000000"
"joy_pitchsensitivity" "1.000000"
"joy_response_look" "0"
"joy_response_move" "9"
"joy_side_sensitivity" "1.000000"
"joy_yaw_sensitivity" "3.000000"
"joy_yawsensitivity" "-1.000000"
"m_pitch" "0.022000"
"m_yaw" "0.022000"
"name" "iā€™ve always hated u"
"option_duck_method" "false"
"ping_wheel_phrase_0" "1"
"ping_wheel_phrase_1" "2"
"ping_wheel_phrase_2" "4"
"ping_wheel_phrase_3" "34"
"ping_wheel_phrase_4" "18"
"ping_wheel_phrase_5" "5"
"ping_wheel_phrase_6" "42"
"ping_wheel_phrase_7" "6"
"sensitivity" "1.151239"
"skill" "1"
"voice_vox" "0"
"zoom_sensitivity_ratio" "1.000000"
}
}

have you tried disabling "Steam Cloud" support for the game and then re-installing it? This would at least make sure you aren't copying back the bad config file. Based on the posted config file I don't see anything that stands out as an issue, it matches to my config file.

This would also account for the "virus-like" behavior you are referring too, as anyone who logs into the system and then launches Deadlock could end up using the config files local on the system then after exiting the game it syncs the same broken files to that users Steam cloud save.

Reactions: d4
have you tried disabling "Steam Cloud" support for the game and then re-installing it? This would at least make sure you aren't copying back the bad config file. Based on the posted config file I don't see anything that stands out as an issue, it matches to my config file.

This would also account for the "virus-like" behavior you are referring too, as anyone who logs into the system and then launches Deadlock could end up using the config files local on the system then after exiting the game it syncs the same broken files to that users Steam cloud save.
ty! tried it

This didn't do anything for either of our accounts tho :(
could still be useful in preventing the "spreading" behavior, but we kinda too freaked out to try any new accounts anyways šŸ’€

this actually helped ā€“ we're able to aim and move through a connected controller

however, the mouse problem still persists :(
That's good, so my next question would be have you tried moving the mouse from one USB to another like taking it from the front to the back? Typically the front USB ports are managed by a different USB controller so the mouse would look like a new device when connected. I would be curious to see if the issue stems from the game having issues binding correctly to the mouse device.

That's good, so my next question would be have you tried moving the mouse from one USB to another like taking it from the front to the back? Typically the front USB ports are managed by a different USB controller so the mouse would look like a new device when connected. I would be curious to see if the issue stems from the game having issues binding correctly to the mouse device.
Nope, this didn't do anything unfortunately

even tried a trackpad :alien:

Thank you for this idea!

UPD: while the underlying problem did not get fixed, we found 2 workarounds to "cure" your account from the issue

1)
try validating the game's files (click on the gear icon on the game's page in your library ā€“> Properties ā€“> Installed files ā€“> Verify integrity of game's files)

2) if that didn't help:
- delete all game files (the most fool-proof way we found is to re-install Steam entirely with all its directories, maybe even use a brand new drive for the installation)
- turn off Steam Cloud sync for Deadlock (you can do that in the Properties menu after clicking on the gear icon on the game's page)
- re-install Deadlock with Steam Cloud sync turned off
After that, If done correctly, the crosshair becomes responsive again!

You may also re-enable Steam Cloud sync for the game after the first launch ā€“ just don't forget to prioritize the local version over the cloud save.

Back