[TEMP SOLUTION FOUND] Linux crashes when trying to enter map from menu

sourdanidev

When attempting to join a match or play on sandbox, the game will crash while attempting to join the map/session. It does not even make it to a loading screen.

However by joining a map via console commands it will properly load into the map. This means the maps do work and the game does play on Linux but something about queuing into a match or session causes it to break.

I am also unable to view replays without it crashing.

Specs
  • GPU: RTX 4050 Mobile
  • NVidia Driver: 535.171.04-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
  • Display Server: X11
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • CPU: i7-12700H​

Also, will there be a native Linux client? I saw there's only windows binaries and I assume the game defaults to proton.

EDIT:
Solution Found:
Solution
To permanently change your virtual memory limit you must edit a system file that you will need escalated privileges for. command line scary!
Linux Support Status:
Screenshot from 2024-05-26 21-07-57.png

Last edited:
I also encountered the same issue on stable debian.
Just before crashing, game spits a lot of file open fail errors.
If needed I can record them and share here.

Also crashing for me with very similar system
  • Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • GeForce RTX 4070 Super (Nvidia driver 535)
Symptoms:
  • Join a game (hero training, lane training)
  • Loading screen appears
  • Black screen briefly shows with grey grid in lower left
  • Crash
Map command gives same results as above (same crash)

Last edited:
Also crashing for me with very similar system
  • Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • GeForce RTX 4070 Super (Nvidia driver 535)
Symptoms:
  • Join a game (hero training, lane training)
  • Loading screen appears
  • Black screen briefly shows with grey grid in lower left
  • Crash
Map command gives same results as above (same crash)
I have found a solution, will post it very soon.

Background Info
Source 2 in Proton exceeds Linux's default virtual memory max limit of 65530 or about 512MB.
We can confirm this if we run the command sudo sysctl vm.max_map_count or cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count and we should get a value of 65530.
Our goal here is to increase your maximum virtual memory limit!

Solution
For this solution I used 1048576 or 8GB of virtual memory as it's the becoming the new default on many Linux Systems.
To permanently change your virtual memory limit you must edit a system file that you will need escalated privileges for.
We will be editing sysctl.conf but depending on your system's configuration you might need to change a different file.

Open the file via the editor of your choice with sudo. For example sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line vm.max_map_count=1048576 to the bottom of the file and reboot your machine. If it doesn't work check if you have another configuration file that could be causing conflicts. As the higher the number the later it makes the change to your system. So sysctl.conf will run before 99-sysctl.conf.

Notes
  • We can temporarily achieve this by the following command: sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=1048576.
  • You can read about the vm max map count parameter in the documentation provided in the sources.
  • As per this message from Yoshi, information about a proper Linux build or further Proton support is unknown at this time.
Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
Xinayder
Arch Linux Update Post
OpenSuse Docs
Kernel Docs
Linux guide for A Hat In Time (Outdated)

Last edited:
Background Info
Source 2 exceeds Linux's default virtual memory max limit in Proton of 65530 or about 8GB.
We can confirm this if we run the command sudo sysctl vm.max_map_count or cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count we should get a value of 65530.

Solution
To permanently change your virtual memory limit you must edit a system file that you will need escalated privileges for. command line scary!
There's a few places it may exist but you need to confirm with your system. For mine it was sudo nano /etc/99-sysctl.conf but for some systems you might just need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf.

Add the line vm.max_map_count=262144 to the bottom of the file and reboot your machine. If it doesn't work make sure you put it in the correct file.

Notes
We can temporarily achieve this by the following command: sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144
In this example I used 32GB of virtual memory however you can choose any amount higher.

If you would like more information on the topic please review the guide linked in the credits.

Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
Linux guide for A Hat In Time
IT WORKS, I can even enter matches, thank you so much

Background Info
Source 2 exceeds Linux's default virtual memory max limit in Proton of 65530 or about 8GB.
We can confirm this if we run the command sudo sysctl vm.max_map_count or cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count we should get a value of 65530.

Solution
There's a few places it may exist but you need to confirm with your system. For mine it was sudo nano /etc/99-sysctl.conf but for some systems you might just need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf.

Add the line vm.max_map_count=262144 to the bottom of the file and reboot your machine. If it doesn't work make sure you put it in the correct file.

Notes
We can temporarily achieve this by the following command: sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144
In this example I used 32GB of virtual memory however you can choose any amount higher.

If you would like more information on the topic please review the guide linked in the credits.

Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
this works on my machine, thanks!

Had the same problem but
Background Info

Solution

Notes

Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
This worked, thanks

Background Info
Source 2 in Proton exceeds Linux's default virtual memory max limit of 65530 or about 512MB.
We can confirm this if we run the command sudo sysctl vm.max_map_count or cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count and we should get a value of 65530.

Solution
For this solution I used 1048576 or 8GB of virtual memory as it's the becoming the new default on many Linux Systems.
To permanently change your virtual memory limit you must edit a system file that you will need escalated privileges for.
We will be editing sysctl.conf but depending on your system's configuration you might need to change a different file.

Open the file via the editor of your choice with sudo. For example sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line vm.max_map_count=1048576 to the bottom of the file and reboot your machine. If it doesn't work check if you have another configuration file that could be causing conflicts. As the higher the number the later it makes the change to your system. So sysctl.conf will run before 99-sysctl.conf.

Notes
  • We can temporarily achieve this by the following command: sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=1048576.
  • You can read about the vm max map count parameter in the documentation provided in the sources.
  • As per this message from Yoshi a proper Linux build or further proton support is not planned.
Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
Xinayder
Arch Linux Update Post
OpenSuse Docs
Kernel Docs
not helped for me😭

Source Arch wiki

Game compatibility​

Increase vm.max_map_count​

Having the vm.max_map_count set to a low value can affect the stability and performance of some games. It can therefore be desirable to increase the size permanently by creating the following sysctl config file.

/etc/sysctl.d/80-gamecompatibility.conf
vm.max_map_count = 2147483642

Note: The default value is set by /usr/lib/sysctl.d/10-arch.conf, if you use a different file make sure it has higher priority. See sysctl(8) § SYSTEM FILE PRECEDENCE.
Arch Linux uses the value 1048576 by default [1], which Fedora considers a safe value [2]. This default value is likely to be sufficient for current games, as increasing the value was mostly important when Arch used the kernel default of 65530 [3]. A value of 2147483642 (MAX_INT - 5) is the default in SteamOS.

Apply the changes without reboot by running:

# sysctl --system

Note: This can lead to incompatibility with older programs trying to read core dump files [4]

Background Info

Solution

Notes
  • As per this message from Yoshi a proper Linux build or further proton support is not planned.
Credit
⚧Vixy the braixen⚧
Adler
Xinayder
Arch Linux Update Post
OpenSuse Docs
Kernel Docs

Worked for me as of this writing. Fresh install of the game.

* Ubuntu 23.10
* Ryzen 5800x
* RTX 4070, nVidia blob driver 550
* Gnome
* 2560x1440@165

Back