Strange motion artifacting when using the in-game FSR 2 option

KingKrouch

I've been noticing strange motion artifacts in the game when using FSR 2, even with the Native AA option set. It's noticeable at native resolution, but becomes more egregious the lower the resolution. I haven't seen other games using FSR 2 or FSR 3 have similar looking motion artifacting, only if you use Performance or Ultra Performance mode. Is there a plan to improve this, and/or moving to FSR 3 now that it supports Vulkan?

System Information:

Computer Information:

Manufacturer: ASRock
Model: B760M-ITX/D4 WiFi
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:

CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0xb7
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 5100 MHz
20 logical processors
14 physical processors
Hyper-threading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:

"NixOS 24.05 (Uakari)" (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 6.10.1
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12401000
X Window Manager: KWin
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20240610.91380

Video Card:

Driver: AMD AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT (radeonsi, navi21, LLVM 17.0.6, DRM 3.57, 6.10.1)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 24.0.7
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 174 Hz
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x73bf
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 3440 x 1440
Desktop Resolution: 3440 x 1440
Primary Display Size: 31.89" x 13.78" (34.72" diag), 81.0cm x 35.0cm (88.2cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 16384 MB

Sound card:

Audio device: Realtek ALC897

Memory:

RAM: 31737 Mb

VR Hardware:

VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:

UI Language: English
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 821756 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 113495 MB

Storage:

Number of SSDs: 3
SSD sizes: 16T,1000G,500G
Number of HDDs: 0
Number of removable drives: 0

You mean ghosting or low resolution/macroblocking on particles? That's really common on FSR, kinda a trademark of that upscaling method at this point.

FSR3 should help a bit, but I wish we also had more options like XESS and DLSS.

You mean ghosting or low resolution/macroblocking on particles?
I mean, just in general, like fast camera movements causes really strange motion artifacting issues that I don't really notice with recent versions of FSR or DLSS. Although I'd imagine particles would exacerbate this.

It might not sound constructive but you don't buy a Radeon RX 6900 XT to upscale any game, let alone a source engine game.
1. The game is known for FPS drops, performance bugs, and outright crashes. Medium setting with FSR/2 seems to be the safest option currently.
2. I buy powerful hardware because I want it to be cool and quiet, it's a valid use case.

1. The game is known for FPS drops, performance bugs, and outright crashes. Medium setting with FSR/2 seems to be the safest option currently.
2. I buy powerful hardware because I want it to be cool and quiet, it's a valid use case.
It is really dependant on what people do with their computers and what weird configs they run. None of my friends or colleague experience those issues but again we're all IT guys with perfectly maintained machines.

It is really dependant on what people do with their computers and what weird configs they run. None of my friends or colleague experience those issues but again we're all IT guys with perfectly maintained machines.
Didn't expect to hear "works on my machine" from colleagues in 2024. Very unprofessional and unhelpful.

Didn't expect to hear "works on my machine" from colleagues in 2024. Very unprofessional and unhelpful.
I didn't mean to offend you, I'm just surprised to see people with good hardware complain about issues there shouldn't be. There's definitely a user level issue because the developers test their game on various popular configurations.

It might not sound constructive but you don't buy a Radeon RX 6900 XT to upscale any game, let alone a source engine game.
Okay, now take into account high resolution displays or the fact that some people use laptops, and how some people are fine with the resolution cut in games in exchange for a higher framerate, and it's more reasonable.

The upscaling issue could be fixed by updating the form of upscaling used in the engine from FSR 2 to 3.1. FSR 2 is known to have mediocre image quality, but FSR 3.1 actually looks pretty good.

There's literally no reason for modern games to run as badly as they do outside of being rushed out with no decent feedback, especially on expensive hardware. Like it's not even a matter of not hitting a absurdly high framerate, plenty of games have really bad frame time problems that can't really be explained straightforwardly when everything else runs fine. So no, it's not a hardware issue.

I didn't mean to offend you, I'm just surprised to see people with good hardware complain about issues there shouldn't be. There's definitely a user level issue because the developers test their game on various popular configurations.
No just because someone has high end hardware or a console (employed with a framerate cap as an example) doesn't mean that a game's code is automatically optimized.

This just seems like fanboy gaslighting (just look at the amount of Steam forum users damage controlling for bad ports of games) considering I've tested games on numerous hardware setups before and they all usually share the same issues. If a game has an issue on a high end system, that will likely mean it's going to run worse on less costly hardware. The "throw out your expensive hardware and play on a 1080p 60Hz monitor with a 4090 and a Xinput controller" argument isn't really founded in any sense of rationality.

Unless you're using extremely outdated drivers or have a system full of viruses, the hardware configuration is likely not going to be an issue, outside of temperatures, bottlenecks, and RAM timings (or in the case of Intel, efficiency cores being enabled). If you're getting BSODs, then there's likely a hardware issue or an issue with drivers or how the operating system is installed.

Unless the developer has a hardware lab with different sets of hardware they test on, they usually rely on closed beta testers to report issues. I haven't seen or even heard of that many that actually have a hardware lab.

If you think that the performance relative to the image quality aren't an issue, then why don't you use a performance profiler and a frame capture tool yourself? This is what I mean when I said that your attempt at "criticism" isn't constructive in the slightest. It's convenient gaslighting.

Back