Semi-frequent system hanging on linux

christian908

I've tried looking through similar issues, and I can't find anyone suffering a similar type of issue as my own.

At times, maybe four or five times now in my six hours of play, the game will hang. I'm warned of this by the game freezing, and slowing down from it's usual 80+ fps, and then suddenly stopping. All sound besides the ambient nosie ceases, including audio from other applications like discord. If I wait long enough I can force close the game from a not responding pop up, but often times this can take so long the best option is to just hard shutoff my pc.

From some display corruption I've seen in the window when I've been able to alt tab out, I assume this has something to do with proton, or vulkan, or maybe even something else, and my graphics card not getting along on something.

For reference I use Fedora 40, with gnome in xorg. And have an AMD Radeon rx 5700 gpu, and a AMD r5 5600 CPU.

I know linux support isn't on top of the priority list, but maybe some linux wizards are playing the playtest right now and know of some solutions. I hesitate to play a real game with, and against players knowing I could be forced to DC at anytime.

If anyone stumbles upon this with similar issues, I found the game to run a bit slower, but be much more stable via dx11 and using dxvk, rather than using vulkan native.

Weird question but can you try disabling Effects Bloom and Antialiasing and see if you get the same stuttering after?

i tried running the game with vulkan ON WINDOWS and the first time there was a lot of stutters and the game sunddenly stuck at 25fps for some reason, then after alt - tabbing the game this happened.
and, after closing the game, this never happened and the game now runs like normal.
i guess it's a problem with vulkan, valve has to fix this.
20240531203947_1.jpg

Weird question but can you try disabling Effects Bloom and Antialiasing and see if you get the same stuttering after?

I have not tried that, no. I have AA on so I can have fsr on and I run the game at 90 percent res upscaled.

I will try it next time I'm in game, however!

i tried running the game with vulkan ON WINDOWS and the first time there was a lot of stutters and the game sunddenly stuck at 25fps for some reason, then after alt - tabbing the game this happened.
and, after closing the game, this never happened and the game now runs like normal.
i guess it's a problem with vulkan, valve has to fix this.
View attachment 1586

Wow. I have heard from people in the discord that the vulkan implementation is pretty universally buggy, crazy that it's also hurting windows users.

I'm also on Linux and am experiencing similar issues when I run it with vulkan. Maybe it has something to do with the way shaders work on vulkan vs dx11 since people are saying the stutters go away after playing for a minute. Maybe they can have shaders compile at the menu screen or something. Also, at least for me, when launching the game in full-screen mode with vulkan, the game hangs on a black screen on startup.

Last edited:
Back