RESOLVED: Unable to launch in Windows 10

deviousbehaviour

UPDATE:
Issue Resolved:

Game now loads correctly

However! The issue happens again after my computer goes to sleep.
The solution is to re-login on steam again.

Steps performed to resolve issue:
- Logged out of my steam account, logged back in
- Updated the game again.
- Launched game
- Success!

ORIGNAL POST:

Issue Overview:
Game will not get past the first splash screen that says "loading" There are no error messages of any kind. As far as I can see the game hasn't created any kind of crash report that I can attach.

Path to generate Error:
Launch Application > Valve Logo > First splash screen that says "Loading" > immediately ends the process > back to desktop

Unsuccessful Resolution attempts:
- Update graphics driver
- Verify integrity of game files
- repeat relaunches
- running project8.exe as administrator
- disable steam overlay
- updated game
- Changed to vulkan shaders by inputing -vulkan in the boot options

Result:
Issue persists without change.

System Information:
GPU: Nvidea GTX 3060
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Display server: X11
RAM: 32GB
Display driver: GeForce Game Ready Drivers 556.12
Game Version: Build ID: 14952578

Attachments

Last edited:
- Try changing the Render API to another one. From Vulkan to DirectX or vice versa;
- Be sure to disable all undervolt. You could do this with software like MSI Afterburner or similar. Undervolt of the graphics card or CPU acceleration may negatively affect the game;
- Find possible Crush Dumps. Put them in one zip archive and upload them to the forum. Crush Dumps are in two places:
- "..\steamapps\common\Project8Staging\game\bin\win64\project8_*_*_*_*_*.mdmp",
- "..\Steam\dumps\crash_project8.exe_*_*.dmp";

Some drivers may be outdated. This thread says that switching to windows 11 can help.

Issue Overview:
Game will not get past the first splash screen that says "loading" There are no error messages of any kind. As far as I can see the game hasn't created any kind of crash report that I can attach.

Path to generate Error:
Launch Application > Valve Logo > First splash screen that says "Loading" > immediately ends the process > back to desktop

Resolution attempts:
- Update graphics driver
- Verify integrity of game files
- repeat relaunches
- running project8.exe as administrator
- disable steam overlay

Result:
Issue persists without change.

System Information:
GPU: Nvidea GTX 3060
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Display server: X11
RAM: 32GB
Display driver: GeForce Game Ready Drivers 556.12
Game Version: Build ID: 14952578
if it possible please upload a video so maybe i can help you

- Try changing the Render API to another one. From Vulkan to DirectX or vice versa;
- Be sure to disable all undervolt. You could do this with software like MSI Afterburner or similar. Undervolt of the graphics card or CPU acceleration may negatively affect the game;
- Find possible Crush Dumps. Put them in one zip archive and upload them to the forum. Crush Dumps are in two places:
- "..\steamapps\common\Project8Staging\game\bin\win64\project8_*_*_*_*_*.mdmp",
- "..\Steam\dumps\crash_project8.exe_*_*.dmp";

Some drivers may be outdated. This thread says that switching to windows 11 can help.
I looked for any kind of crash log or file but none have been generated in either of these locations. I suspect that this game doesn’t recognize this as a crash and instead is treating this like reaching the end of the program.

I mean, maybe I just did an any% run of Deadlock. Put me on the leaderboard. ^_^

I don’t think that there’s any undervolting happening in the system, it’s a fresh install of Windows 10 pro.

How would I change to Vulkan?

I attempted but it didn't change much, the loading screen lasted approximately 1 second longer than it had before the launch option was enabled. But the same issue occurs, failing in the same way. I posted a video above to show how the game fails.

I've been running into the exact same issues, and no crash dumps are created either. I was able to get it running on my W11 laptop, so I feel as though this is an issue with W10.
Just re-login to any other account, and then return to the account with the deadlock. This fixes the problem.
This, sadly, didn't fix the issue for me.

Just re-login to any other account, and then return to the account with the deadlock. This fixes the problem.

ISSUE RESOLVED!

I'm not sure if this fixed it for me, but the issue has been resolved after I attempted this AND applied today's patch.

Thank you all for the help and potential solutions!
Devs if you ever want someone to help diagnose bugs, I would love to help!

Back