mcginnis wall inconsistent

I've been trying to figure out how to trigger this bug, because at present I don't know how to replicate it to report it. But I have this happen a LOT, too. You're not alone.

Can confirm, walls sometimes get cut off to the point of it only having a single block.
From my observations it mostly happens when it encounters a hitbox before its being placed. Be it a minion or player.

this one was manually placed, but my assumptions are that this is due to either:

- center wall piece being partially obstructed (places one segment, fails out)
- minions blocking the other wall segments (? shouldn't it place and then displace them and hit)
- weird geometry on the floors or something acting up?

View attachment 15301
Firstly, I don’t even press the button to build a wall, it is built by itself. Maybe it should be like that? Im not seeing it in the description. Secondly, yes, sometimes half of the wall is chopped off
1725236606885.jpeg

i am not looking at a wall. this is a problem when manually deploying walls around corners.

View attachment 24E7DEB000016.mp4

please explain to me how this is not generally buggy and inconsistent behavior.

i have something like 100 hours of playing just mcginnis at this point. i've tried understanding the nuances of how and when and why it sometimes just Does Not Deploy Half The Wall when deploying near map geometry, and it's just so buggy that it's genuinely hard to use consistently sometimes.

the wall automatically deploying when the raycast/center of the projection hits geometry is expected and normal behavior

i am talking about the inconsistency in how many wall segments actually get placed, how sometimes it makes the wall longer and clipping through geometry, etc

presumably, the game "wants" the wall to be kinda symmetrical, and not lopsided? but it just leads to so many weird interactions and short walls and feeling misled/betrayed by the projected wall.

the wall automatically deploying when the raycast/center of the projection hits geometry is expected and normal behavior

i am talking about the inconsistency in how many wall segments actually get placed, how sometimes it makes the wall longer and clipping through geometry, etc

presumably, the game "wants" the wall to be kinda symmetrical, and not lopsided? but it just leads to so many weird interactions and short walls and feeling misled/betrayed by the projected wall.

The preview of the wall needs to be consistent with what we get. That's the bottom line, for sure

The preview of the wall needs to be consistent with what we get. That's the bottom line, for sure
yeah, this would at least be somewhat mitigated by the preview actually showing what we're going to get. even if the wall preview is disappointing i would much prefer that over being surprised or confused when walling someone at a bridge in laning

I'd assume this stuff is something that's happening because the game specifically tries to prevent one from being able to place the wall (Spectral Wall, the skill) through a wall (in-game wall, level geometry) on the other side of it making it seemingly come out of nowhere for people on the receiving end of it.
Something like "Wall piece has more than 40% of it inside geometry > don't create adjacent pieces". (The actual check is obviously gonna be a little more involved than that.)

Back