Mac OS Compatibility

dracula

Starting a thread to talk about Mac compatibility.

I'm using Whisky (a Wine-based app) I have a maxed out m3 max, and was not able to load into a real lobby with others. It just loads, goes black with a bit of the game UI, then goes back to the main menu of the game with no bug or crash notice. I can load into training grounds fine. A VAC thing, perhaps?

Having STEAMDECK=1 on the steam client (a common fix for other games) doesn't allow for you to join matchmaking games.

Anyone have a config or setup that is working?

Until project8 makes support for MacOS you won't be able to play it
I am able to play it on the training grounds with fine FPS. I have seen other people say it's possible via Proton/Linux to get into regular games, which makes me think it's entirely possible to get it working via Wine (ran through a mac app called Whisky).

If you are on Intel mac, you could dual boot to Windows and run it. I'm specifically talking about ARM here with Apple's GPTK. There are a number of configs that fix many games to get it working on Linux systems. Just wondering if anyone has any success with that.

Starting a thread to talk about Mac compatibility.

I'm using Whisky (a Wine-based app) I have a maxed out m3 max, and was not able to load into a real lobby with others. It just loads, goes black with a bit of the game UI, then goes back to the main menu of the game with no bug or crash notice. I can load into training grounds fine. A VAC thing, perhaps?

Having STEAMDECK=1 on the steam client (a common fix for other games) doesn't allow for you to join matchmaking games.

Anyone have a config or setup that is working?
Use STEAMDECK=0 for this one. It works for me on Mac M1 Pro 16gb but performance is lacking

For me, the big issue seems to be shader compilation. I get huge stutters ( > 1 second ) when a hero uses a new ability, but it's fine after that point.

(M2 Max MBP)

Yes, exactly. The game plays great under CrossOver (use D3DMetal - and I suggest using CXPatcher). Only problem is shader compilation. I think it's cached though, as I'm noticing less stuttering as I play more.

Yes, exactly. The game plays great under CrossOver (use D3DMetal - and I suggest using CXPatcher). Only problem is shader compilation. I think it's cached though, as I'm noticing less stuttering as I play more.
What sort of frames do you get? I am stuck around 30 with D3DMetal and CXPatcher.

IMG_6772.webpthe image is compressed to hell and back but I got it to run in the practice range, highs of 120fps on low and using the same settings as my 3060 rig around 60fps. Game needs a lot of optimization but a mac version is definitely on the cards just based on this. (M1 Pro, 16gb)

I should be more specific - for settings I meant your Crossover or Whiskey settings, not Deadlock settings. I've been running various D3DMetal vs DXVK tests and found that DXVK gives better performance with the Async shader compilation enabled, but a few character models are consistently missing. Apple's D3DMetal / GPTK has no graphical issues but has the shader compilation stutter problem

I should be more specific - for settings I meant your Crossover or Whiskey settings, not Deadlock settings. I've been running various D3DMetal vs DXVK tests and found that DXVK gives better performance with the Async shader compilation enabled, but a few character models are consistently missing. Apple's D3DMetal / GPTK has no graphical issues but has the shader compilation stutter problem
Whisky with DXVK, thats it

I am using Crossover 24.0 with D3DMetal and ESync, lowest video settings, can get around 70 fps, but big stutters, sometimes I need to relaunch Deadlock, because it just freezes. Tried GPTK (with MSync, ESync and without any of these), but there are severe graphical glitches, and it is unplayable for me. Used audio fix that is used in CS 2 (setting game.exe file wine configuration to Windows 8.1).
I really like this game and didn’t experience such excitement from a competitive game for a long time.
I hope that Valve will add Mac OS support for Deadlock, like in Dota 2 ❤️

Last edited:
Back