Linux pauses/hang-ups on specific actions

trndyposr

I know other threads mention hangups on Linux, but I am consistently and reproducibly getting long freezes when I (A) Open Settings for the first time, or (B) Press the Push to Talk button. The latter will disconnect me from the match.

Both only happen once per time game is open, so I assume there is some resource being accessed that takes a long time (~1 min)

Not sure what info would be helpful.

Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS, USB Microphone, 32gig RAM, old GPU I can't believe runs this thing, native Steam for Ubuntu.

I get similar freezes when hitting Open Settings or trying to change mic settings (the detected audio inputs also aren't quite correct; e.g. offering PulseAudio Input or my actual mic's monitor device instead of the actual mic). Since the game apparently can't open the mic, holding PTT also does nothing for me.

This is on a fresh install of Xubuntu 24.04, RTX 3090, nvidia-driver-550, no forced compat settings. (Yes, using Xfce; I could test with a supported DE if you like.)

I should follow-up: this issue resolved for me after realizing that Ubuntu was not allowing Steam access to the microphone. This was discovered after noticing I could not talk in other Steam games (though they did not crash).

Now that the OS is allowing Steam access to the Mic, settings and push-to-talk work normally.

Perhaps this could still be optimized, or even detected ("Steam does not have permissions to access your microphone" or something with no hangup).

Of note, forbidding microphone access to Steam/apps is default ubuntu behavior as of latest patches.

Ah, running `sudo snap connect steam:audio-record :audio-record` seems to have fixed this on my end. You can check if this is the cause of your problem with `snap connections steam`. If the Slot corresponding to `steam:audio-record` reads `-`, you probably need to run that first command, or otherwise manually allow that permission.

Back