Kelvins Arctic Beam cooldown should begin AFTER the channel is complete.

Raspylightining

Imho, the Arctic Beam is a generally well balanced ability, however I believe that it's current state can lead to it becoming extremely oppressive if built correctly.

Imagine being disarmed for 9 seconds, only to have 1 second to fire before being disarmed again.
This is what happens if a T1 Arctic Beam is built with Superior Cooldown and Superior Duration Imbued into it.

Though that may seem ridiculous to achieve outside of late game, its actually possible within only 9k souls and 1 Ability Point.

You're capable of channeling the ability for 6.6 Seconds, with a cooldown of 10.2 Seconds
However, because the cooldown begins the second you hit the ability button, the effective cooldown if channeled for its full duration is 3.6 Seconds
On top of that, the disarm duration extends for an additional 3 Seconds after being full frozen
Which can lead to a player being disarmed for 9 Seconds, only to have around 1 second to shoot if being chased down by Kelvin and his Arctic Beam.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This also can lead the way to a QoL fix I would suggest on top of this change:
I believe the remaining duration of the channel, if canceled early, should be refunded to the cooldown timer

Ignoring that fringe case of cooldown and duration bonuses, It's always upsetting when you accidentally activate an ability without meaning to, so to offset this nerf and add a small bit of Quality of Life, I believe the remaining duration of the channel that you canceled should be refunded into Arctic Beams cooldown.

Infact, I believe that these changes should be applied to a majority of channeled abilities, at least additionally Ice Path for the same reasonings as above.

Last edited:
Back