Inconsistency with modifiers in keybinds; consider arbitrary combos/modifiers

nfd

With the split from upgrades being accessible with tab to them being accessible with alt, I figured it'd be a good time to set "my" alt to one of the buttons on my mouse. (For compatibility with other Source games' sake, I have several of those buttons bound to numpad keys.) So I tried to bound Numpad * + T (T is my ability 1 bind) to upgrade ability 1. (Seems convenient to me: with my current setup, that would do a great job of avoiding excess Hand Yoga. Instead it simply rebound T to upgrading ability 1, unbinding my ability 1 key.

A little experimentation revealed that key-combo binds seem to be limited to modifier keys and tab. But you're going to be sampling raw keyboard events; you could let me bind whatever I liked as a combo instead. As-is, to get the behavior I'd want, I'd need to conditionally rebind my mouse to work differently specifically for Deadlock or do some weird config-file surgery (though admittedly I'm quite used to sticking whole state machines in my keybinds whilst playing TF2 Engineer/Spy, y'all could break this in the process of doing that planned update to avoid multibinds, so I'm pretty unsure that's a good idea in the long term).

(This is trivia, but I feel like some of y'all might find it entertaining, and maybe it'll pack a lesson about some of the weird stuff people like me do to their keybinds...) Did you know that in TF2, the condensed disguise kit terribly breaks if you rebind your item-slot keys? Doesn't work with the old ones, and it also doesn't work with the new ones, at least for the 1-2-3 to R-W-Q bind scheme I use. It's pretty convenient and keeps my hands in line with ESDF movement; it's kind of necessary to find hacks like that when using a 40% or sub-40% keyboard like I often do!

So I use this monstrosity to emulate that behavior, using my keybindings at any given time as state. Have mercy! Don't make me do this again!

Attachments

Back