I think item choices should be hero specific

rizrak89

Hello, long time dota player. Love the game! Ultra-fun, sincerely!

The item choices of a shop carry over the same problems DotA had though. An item is available to all playable characters, and such are worth different amounts to each "hero".

A good example would be echo shard on Bebop, able to double-stickybomb a target, which is similar to the problems tinker had in DotA. An item must be balanced around the hero that can most utilize it.

As well as that, some items in the shop are not nearly as useful. Bebop could buy a weapon upgrade that would give him extreme close range damage, but why would he? In a teamfight, you hook, apply stickybomb (twice), and then punch. Right after you use your ultimate, the purple laserbeam. There's no reason to purchase the close range damage upgrade, and it's not an early game item either, it's 3,500 iirc (could be wrong though)

While the game is still an alpha, I think making items available to specific heroes would be good. It both removes the bloat of pointless options, and lets valve fine tune items such that they don't have to consider the entire hero roster

The item choices of a shop carry over the same problems DotA had though. An item is available to all playable characters, and such are worth different amounts to each "hero".

A good example would be echo shard on Bebop, able to double-stickybomb a target, which is similar to the problems tinker had in DotA. An item must be balanced around the hero that can most utilize it.

As well as that, some items in the shop are not nearly as useful. Bebop could buy a weapon upgrade that would give him extreme close range damage, but why would he? In a teamfight, you hook, apply stickybomb (twice), and then punch. Right after you use your ultimate, the purple laserbeam. There's no reason to purchase the close range damage upgrade, and it's not an early game item either, it's 3,500 iirc (could be wrong though)

While the game is still an alpha, I think making items available to specific heroes would be good. It both removes the bloat of pointless options, and lets valve fine tune items such that they don't have to consider the entire hero roster

I think items like ahganims and shard cover the "unique items for each hero" part of dota quite well. Maybe something similar to this but different than dota in some way. But honestly ideas like that can come later in the games lifespan - there's so much design work to be done still on the foundational aspects of the game. Including the base item pool, new heroes, and even current hero design.

removes the entire appeal of a moba. -1.

Back