Hero Idea - Supernatural Fox Hero

Tamamo-no-Bae

There is no question that supernatural Foxes are underrepresented in games, especially compared to wolves and cats.
I remember when Kiriko from Overwatch was announced, it was one of the few fox-themed characters in a moba/FPS game.
The only other ones I can think of is Daji from Smite, and Ahri from League of Legends.

One common trait to all variants listed below is the ability to shapeshift. A fox can take on the form of a man, woman, or animal depending on their whim.

There are four variants of foxes to choose from. The most common is the Japanese Kitsune.
It comes in several variants such as the Yoko, Nogitsune or Celestial fox.
They can have up to nine tails, and grow one every century. They also carry a little orb which contains their power.
They are able to possess humans as well, both willingly and unwillingly depending on the Fox's moral alignment.
They are able to summon blue wisps of fire called fox fire. There also many subspecies, such as the Kudagitsune, a little fox that lives inside a pipe.
The celestial variant is white and is usually associated as the messengers of the God Inari. (Important to note: Inari himself is NOT a Fox)

The second most-common variant is the Korean Kumiho/Gumiho.
Unlike the Kitsune, the Kumiho always has nine tails, and the Kumiho is exclusively evil. They take the form of a beautiful women and seduce men only to eat their liver and steal their soul. It is a pretty famous monster and has featured in several Korean Kdramas. Like the Kitsune, they also possess an orb holding their power, as well as being able to use fox fire.

The first rare variant is the Huli Jing. The Huli Jing is the Chinese variant of the fox.
This one is somewhat common in chinese-exclusive games but is extremely in western releases.
Even Chinese games like Genshin Impact tend to choose the Kitsune instead. (Yae Miko)
The Huli Jing shares many traits with the Kitsune primarily, however unlike the Kitsune, the Huli Jing in some stories is able to have a thousand tails.
One famous Huli Jing is Su Da Ji from Chinese myth, a wicked Fox that seduced the last king of the Shang dynasty and brought the dynasty down and led the country into ruin. Like the Kitsune they can be both good and evil and have both been villains and friends in stories. The Huli Jing is also the oldest variant that inspired all the others.

The rarest and least known variant is the Vietnamese Hồ ly tinh.
This variant has some unique characteristics. Their growth timer is much longer than the other foxes. It takes a hundred years for them to reach three tails, a thousand to reach six tails, and ten thousand to reach nine tails. Only once they have nine tails can they take on a human form. Each tail also counts as a life, and all must be cut off in order to kill this variant. They are also able to cure curses, heal the land and purge diseases. To my knowledge this variant does not feature in any games.

And that's all the Fox variants I know of. As you can see, the fox archetype hosts a lot of abilities that would make for a great character in the game.

https://academia.issendai.com/fox-index.shtml This website contains folklore and stories about foxes, as well as references for books to look into in order to learn more about them.

What do the rest of you think? Would you enjoy a Fox Hero?

Last edited:
This would be an interesting idea.

I could see a neat ability to where you can see the "scent" of the last person who damaged you and be able to track em down, being represented as a little line on the ground that shows the path that person or NPC that damaged you took which leads you right to em.

Last edited:
That is a unique idea for an ability, foxes do indeed have a good sense of smell. Some species of Foxes in real life are able to see the direction of the planet's magnetic lines, which could also factor in.

I don't like furry
First of all popular depiction of foxes in media are not furry.
7c4e5ceaea2bd54111a599f9862b5c7efa438847.jpeg

Second, in mythology they don't even have a tail or ears, that was added in later popular culture.
Ergo a fox hero here does not need to have fox ears or a tail. (I am sure it'd be more popular if it did though.)
Kuniyoshi_Kuzunoha.jpg

My only concern is that we already have Japanese representation in the game, and i think its fair to say that other cultures and ideas also deserve a spotlight in this game before doubling down on Japanese. There are other asian cultures with interesting mythology too.

My only concern is that we already have Japanese representation in the game, and i think its fair to say that other cultures and ideas also deserve a spotlight in this game before doubling down on Japanese. There are other asian cultures with interesting mythology too.

True but if you read my post you would have seen that I put forth the Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese fox variants too.
Foxes are not Japan exclusive.

I can't help but feel that this is more of a personal want than something that actually fits the game design.

I can't help but feel that this is more of a personal want than something that actually fits the game design.
Why would a fox not fit the game design? A fox can fit anything, especially a supernatural theme.
In the end it is up to the devs, but foxes are amazing.

Back