Hero Idea: AURELIA - A Gypsy Witch that cast hexes on her enemies

otherside

// HERO DESIGN

A young woman (early 30s), blonde hair, brown eyes and pointy nose, always wearing black satin/silk dress, stiletto heels, and lots of jewelry. Very gypsy looking indeed. She holds her golden needles (basic attack) between her fingers, with closed hand.

---

// HERO KIT

Basic Attack:
GOLDEN NEEDLES: When pressed LMB Aurelia throws three rapid-fire needles at once - reaching long distances.
MYSTIC TOUCH: When pressed RMB Aurelia uses her Crystal Ball to inflict a short ranged burst at her target.

Ability [1]: STARFALL DAGGERS
When active, Aurelia gets three daggers to shoot. These daggers causes [SPIRIT DAMAGE] on it's target and makes a small circle on the ground burn with Aurelia's golden flames for a short period of time.

Ability [2]: CURSED EMBRACE
Aurelia casts a hex that weakens a target, causing movement slow, preventing dashes, jumps (and other movement abilities) and reducing the target's [SPIRIT DAMAGE] resist.

Ability [3]: GOLD DUST VEIL
Aurelia conjures a cloud of golden dust around her, evading enemies shots. The dust heals Aurelia and removes debuffs. Applies a slight movement speed boost. Any ally inside Aurelia's golden veil will get healed and evasion as well.

Ability [4]: AUREUM IGNIS
For her most powerful spell, Aurelia launches herself upward and set the ground on fire with her golden flames, causing [SPIRIT DAMAGE] to any enemy inside the ritual's circle. Allies inside the circle gets spirit and bullet resistance, in addition to increasing healing effects.

---

// COMMENTARY

I was thinking about a young girl, with those "gypsy vibes" of reading hands and tea leaves, fortune telling, crystal ball, or even talking with spirits using Ouija boards... maybe adoring the Sun or the Moon - very zodiac-ish - too.

I don't know how deep we can go here with references, but my main visual reference is 70s/80s Stevie Nicks (my pfp lol). Made her with this golden aesthetics because there's already another "sorceress" in the game, that has green abilities. Golden and yellow also fits Aurelia's kit since it deals damage and heals at the same time... and "Aurelia" literally means "golden". Btw, Valve already has a hero with golden aesthetics.

Lore-wise, since Aurelia has this witchy background, sounds cool if her had/has contact with the "occult" of the "Spirit" concept inside Deadlock's lore. @Yoshi didn't say anything about visual concepts or lore writing for hero suggestions in the pinned post, but I've the impression that the main thing the Deadlock team is looking for in these suggestions are heroes mechanics/abilities... so I'm not really drawing anything or writing an in-depth lore for Aurelia.

Talking about abilities, STARFALL DAGGERS was made thinking about lane-phase where basically every hero got a skill to help poking enemies and securing last hits, and the "ground effect" helps Aurelia farm jungle camps, that's why it says "...and makes a small circle on the ground burn with Aurelia's golden flames for a short period of time".

CURSED EMBRACE is a very basic "cc" ability, it helps Aurelia deal damage using her RMB attack, besides making the daggers easier to hit. It also could work great with her ultimate (4th ability). The "curse" part of the ability is definitely because of the reduction of the target's spirit damage resistance, it can be a very overpowered skill when used wisely with teammates building burst spirit damage.

I'd say GOLD DUST VEIL is Aurelia's strongest ability, since healing is really strong in this game right now (everyone's buying lifesteal items) and it also introduces the concept of evasion, very powerful against bullet builds... depending on how it would be implemented in the game, this ability could be a direct counter against Haze, Vindicta and Wraith (arguably the most overpowered heroes in the actual patch)

Finally, AUREUM IGNIS (golden fire in latin) is a very strong team fighting ability, and the way I imagine the casting mechanic is basically the same way Viscous casts his Puddle Punch: choosing a circle on the ground, that's why it says "...Aurelia launches herself upward...".

Aurelia's basic attacks are like that because I didn't want to give her a gun, and throwing needles sounded weak in my mind, so I gave her an alternative basic attack, inspired by Yamato's.

---

Any feedback and artists wanting to draw Aurelia is very welcome! 😊

Do you know that 'Gypsy' is a slur for the Romani people?

Also the outfit you're describing + the blonde hair is very un-'gypsy'. I ran my own interpretation of your concept through midjourney:

narcissyphus_2d_stylized_concept_art_league_of_legends_a_young__44ae912d-af88-4fd7-93d4-ff1b5c...png

Back