Grey Talon stereotypical?

DeadL0ckFan

This is just my opinion, but since Grey Talon seems to be the main Indigenous/Native American character, it feels a little stereotypical that he's wielding a bow-and-arrow. I think it might be better optics (and even cooler) if the skin of his weapon was replaced with a breech-loading rifle or something.

Hmm. But didn't Native American prefer traditional weapons more than modern ones?

Would give meaning if he had dedicated his arts to his native way of war using traditional weapons and he chose the bow. I would kinda hate to see the bow gone to be honest, his abilities also align up good with it.

I do agree that his character appearance could use some work, but his weapon choice is perfect.

Hmm. But didn't Native American prefer traditional weapons more than modern ones?

Would give meaning if he had dedicated his arts to his native way of war using traditional weapons and he chose the bow. I would kinda hate to see the bow gone to be honest, his abilities also align up good with it.

I do agree that his character appearance could use some work, but his weapon choice is perfect.
True! You're correct in that some Indigenous tribes used bows and arrows. However, it's an image that has become kind of synonymous with Native Americans to the point of it being stereotypical. It would be like if the only Japanese person on a whole team of heroes was wielding a katana (I.E. Yamato).

You do have a good point about the appearance, and that might have been what prompted my hesitation in the first place. The braids and robe kind of gives off a weird "traditional" vibe while the rest of the heroes have a "contemporary" 1920s aesthetic. Just something for the devs to think about.

I generally think of native americans using guns they bought from the settlers. I guess they did exist for a long time before the europeans invaded and probably used other stuff.
True! You're correct in that some Indigenous tribes used bows and arrows. However, it's an image that has become kind of synonymous with Native Americans to the point of it being stereotypical. It would be like if the only Japanese person on a whole team of heroes was wielding a katana (I.E. Yamato).

You do have a good point about the appearance, and that might have been what prompted my hesitation in the first place. The braids and robe kind of gives off a weird "traditional" vibe while the rest of the heroes have a "contemporary" 1920s aesthetic. Just something for the devs to think about.
His bow is very obviously too high tech for 1949 (deadlock's date) he's a holdover from neon prime. There, in the cyberpunk future, his robe and braids would be even more anachronistic. Would you be bothered if anyone else used outdated things or dressed in garb associated with their culture? One of the characters in the placeholder files has a horned viking helmet, and is clearly designed to evoke a european opera singer. What about Ivy or how she fits into stereotypes besides being a gargoyle and having a different haircut? Being anachronistic or traditional isn't a bad thing, and neither is being a stereotype. I would argue that the presence of a stereotype as the ONLY native american character probably isn't ideal, adding another character that shows a different more "modern" native american would probably be a good idea. There is of course the possibility of offensive levels of stereotype, I don't think he crosses those lines but I'm not a native american, but if he had the feathers in his hair, threw tomahawks and wore war paint all at once I'd probably think a line was crossed in a way that braids, a robe and a bow don't seem as extreme to me, an outsider.

Doesnt really matter what weapon he uses, its a game about occult, he will just imbue his weapon or his body with spirit energy or artifacts. He is there just to highlight differences, valve always used that. You cant miss read his silhouette.

Back