Got banned for 30 mins after my game crashed.

x4ryuusei

During a match today, I was killed by an Infernus and my game immediately crashed (no, I didn't rage quit. we were doing well). Steam notifies me one of game's files is corrupted and begins patching/validating - which takes approximately 7 minutes. I rejoin the game, we win, and then I find out I'm banned from matchmaking for 30 minutes.

I just wanted to report this because that doesn't feel fair at all. The game or enforcement team should be able to see if someone crashed out of a game and if so, not issue an enforcement. I don't intend to say this in a sarcastic manner. I genuinely mean that there should be a way to identify when someone unwillingly leaves a game. It would really suck if someone was issued a harsher penalty for this.

Hardly the 11 people in your game fault your PC is poorly maintained, or you had back luck. Either way fix your stuff and pray you dont crash, they cant tell if someone crash is legit or not, and honestly it dosent matter you still waste 11 people time.

The ban is applied automatically if you leave too many games early. If you are crashing regularly maybe you can change your settings to ensure you aren't crashing? If you leave too many times the length of time for being banned will go up quite a bit.

Hardly the 11 people in your game fault your PC is poorly maintained, or you had back luck. Either way fix your stuff and pray you dont crash, they cant tell if someone crash is legit or not, and honestly it dosent matter you still waste 11 people time.

I never said it was their fault? Assuming someone's PC is "poorly maintained" (you have zero knowledge about me or my PC) because a game, in an alpha state, crashed is ridiculous. I can accept this game crashing but getting banned for it is not a good user experience. I'm just asking they implement crash logs and a way to appeal your ban if a crash led a "leave". Anyways, I came back and helped the team win, so I'm not sure how I wasted anyone's time. If anything, you just wasted mine.

The ban is applied automatically if you leave too many games early. If you are crashing regularly maybe you can change your settings to ensure you aren't crashing? If you leave too many times the length of time for being banned will go up quite a bit.

I crashed one time and the issue is resolved now. This one incident doesn't upset me. It was only a 30 minute ban. I just have concerns around why it was issued and I'm worried about myself and others getting affected in the future. If it's automated, then a bug report seems appropriate.

Last edited:
Back