Game crashes when watching Live games / replays on Linux

lazyrift

System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
Running Deadlock through Proton (Experimental)

Everything works fine and smooth in-game, I have been playing for the past couple of days. But watching any Live games crashes the game within seconds.

I'm playing on Linux and haven't noticed this issue. I don't have "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" checked in the game compatibility options, so I suppose it is using some default compatibility tool.

Note, I'm launching the game with '-vulkan'

Tried so far:
-vulkan in steam launch options
vm.max_map_count set to various high values in systemctl

No luck. Game freezes up for a moment every few seconds until eventually one of the freeze-ups results in a crash.

Edit: Only while watching Live games. Replay viewer for my own matches is fine.

Last edited:
Was worth a shot. Sometimes you can get some error messages if you launch steam from a terminal and then look for messages when you crash in game. Might help identify the issue.

Theres currently a bug going around with the sdl2 library that source 2 uses. There was a recent update to the demo viewer that switches your keyboard layout to a controller one while the demo is trying to play. Try compiling sdl2 from the official repository https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL and compile from the latest git commit. Then install and try running the game it should work since I had the same issue on Artix Linux with KDE.

Theres currently a bug going around with the sdl2 library that source 2 uses. There was a recent update to the demo viewer that switches your keyboard layout to a controller one while the demo is trying to play. Try compiling sdl2 from the official repository https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL and compile from the latest git commit. Then install and try running the game it should work since I had the same issue on Artix Linux with KDE.
Untitled.png

I also run the game with a bunch of SDL environment variables in the launch options. Probably not related to me not having an issue but here they are below. I left out all my other misc environment variables. This has a few settings specific to my system so no one should copy paste but perhaps someone may find it useful.

SDL_FRAMEBUFFER_ACCELERATION=1 SDL_POLL_SENTINEL=0 SDL_RENDER_VSYNC=0 SDL_RENDER_BATCHING=1 SDL_RENDER_SCALE_QUALITY=0 SDL_XINPUT_ENABLED=0 SDL_ENABLE_STEAM_CONTROLLERS=0 SDL_AUDIO_DEVICE_STREAM_NAME="deadlock" SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS=0 SDL_RENDER_LINE_METHOD=0 %command% -vulkan -freq 240 -full -noborder -novid -nojoy -nosteamcontroller -nohltv -particles 1 -noquicktime -console -nostartupsound -no_texture_stream -displayindex 0 -noassert -nobreakpad -no_compressed_verts -forcenovsync

Last edited:

I don't know if it was because of this, or some recent update, but the issue is gone.

Can confirm. Game crashes when trying to watch live game. Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS. Would gladly provide any additional info or crash-logs if I knew where to find them)

Back