Frozen before title screen

IEatAlloy

Today I encountered a problem when changing my display configuration. The screen froze before the title screen with cursor visible (although resolution seem off) and audio playing. No menu appeared and no action could be taken (other than killing the game process)

The issue happened when changing the setup from a 2560x1080 wide-screen monitor to a 2K 2560x1600 (native resolution on my laptop and 2nd monitor).
Neither game restart nor game reinstall seemed to fix the screen freeze issue. It would seem that the game tried to render wide-screen resolution on 16:9 monitor and failed

I was alble to fix the issue by connecting the older monitor again. This made game playable again. After setting a non-wide aspect ratio (1920x1080 resolution) I was able to connect the 2k monitor and run the game in 1920x1080. This allowed me to change to other resolutions (native 2560x1600)

There seems to be a bug where when a wide aspect ratio is set in the game it freeze the screen if no wide-screen monitor is connected.

After checking the game files I found the way of re-creating this bug through config file.
Assuming you have a 2560x1600 resolution working:
  • go to --> \Deadlock\game\citadel\cfg\Video.cfg
  • change the "setting.defaultresheight" to "1080"
This will create the exact situation I faced when changing monitors. Game frozen at screen:
2024-09-20_20h57_08.png

Note. the Video.cfg can be used also to fix the issue if the user knows what to do (automatic fix would be better).

Back