Excessive frame time causing frequent stutters

danielstralman

It used to be that id crash every other game but now i get some infuriating stutters instead. It seems pretty random when they actually happen. Could be first game, could be third. At the start or the end, more common at the end though. I have consistently 140fps with FSR2.

They are barely half a second but that is quite a long time when youre in the thick of it. The input is not aborted during this stutter leading to some very frustrating situations.

Im gonna paste what im 99% sure the problem is caused by from the console, what ive tried so far to fix it and my specs. Ive googled every part of this and tried all the fixes i could even if they are from another source game.

This comes up in the console after every stutter.

[Client] Current tick is 89007, but we have received a message for tick 89015. Processing all messages up to 89015 now.
[Client] Last server executed command is 88400 on tick 89015. Duplicating command 88397 3x to catch up. New outgoing command is 88400
[Client] Slamming client tick to server tick. abs( server tick 89015 - client tick 89001 = 14 ) > ( cl_clockdrift_max_ticks 3 + sim ticks 6 = 9 )
CSwapChainBase::QueuePresentAndWait() looped for 22 iterations without a present event.
Excessive frame time of 230.25ms clamped. Acting as if the frame only took 100.00ms

Reinstall the game
Reinstall GPU driver
Purge GPU driver and settings then install a fresh downloaded driver
Bought a new CPU cooler to prevent a part from reaching 95*c (even if that is the operating temperature)
Undervolted the CPU and changed boost behavior to keep performance more consistence
Changed to stock memory settings from EXPO setting
Tried running in DX11, Vulcan, Stretch, FSR2, borderless, fullscreen
Limited framerate to 60
Every graphics setting both on and off.
Programs in the background turned off.
Flushed DNS

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor, 4701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product PRIME X670-P WIFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31,1 GB
GPU NVidia RTX 3070

I dont know what else to try but its genuinely ruining games for me.

Last edited:
I can't play because of this issue either. The effect on my play is more extreme than you describe. I experience extreme rubber banding and whole fights will happen before I teleport around to three locations and then die after the game updates. When I view my console I have constant messages of Slamming client tick to server tick

That console log is just telling you that you have a desync of 14 ticks between the client and the server ( server tick 89015 - client tick 89001 = 14 ), where the maximum desync allowed is 9 (cl_clockdrift_max_ticks 3 + sim ticks 6 = 9 ) and you are seeing excessive frame times.

1. For the tick desync issues, Have you verified your network stability? This could be due to packet loss on the network side. Maybe try a different network (hotspot, etc) and see if you have the same issue?

2. As for the excessive frame times, what does your resource utilization look like on your CPU/GPU/Memory when you start having issues? You could also be seeing packet loss due to your hardware if you are seeing high utilization issues.

That console log is just telling you that you have a desync of 14 ticks between the client and the server ( server tick 89015 - client tick 89001 = 14 ), where the maximum desync allowed is 9 (cl_clockdrift_max_ticks 3 + sim ticks 6 = 9 ) and you are seeing excessive frame times.

1. For the tick desync issues, Have you verified your network stability? This could be due to packet loss on the network side. Maybe try a different network (hotspot, etc) and see if you have the same issue?

2. As for the excessive frame times, what does your resource utilization look like on your CPU/GPU/Memory when you start having issues? You could also be seeing packet loss due to your hardware if you are seeing high utilization issues.

I know thats what it says but there isnt anything else in the console logs that comes up when it happens. The question is why its happening.

I have never had any other problems with my network in any game, download, voip or stream that would be more frequent than once a week. I dont really have the ability to test on a different network. No wifi and my router doesnt work with my phone connection. I might go and buy a dongle just to try but...
When it does stutter the red dot in the bottom right does show but not completely sure what that implies.

CPU is usually <40%, memory i probably have atleast 10gb free. Unless i intentionally limit the fps the gpu is 90+% but i get a stable 110 fps most of the time and temps are below 80C. Lowering the utilization does not fix the issue. Its too fast to see it affecting the utilizations beyond that.

I know thats what it says but there isnt anything else in the console logs that comes up when it happens. The question is why its happening.

I have never had any other problems with my network in any game, download, voip or stream that would be more frequent than once a week. I dont really have the ability to test on a different network. No wifi and my router doesnt work with my phone connection. I might go and buy a dongle just to try but...
When it does stutter the red dot in the bottom right does show but not completely sure what that implies.

CPU is usually <40%, memory i probably have atleast 10gb free. Unless i intentionally limit the fps the gpu is 90+% but i get a stable 110 fps most of the time and temps are below 80C. Lowering the utilization does not fix the issue. Its too fast to see it affecting the utilizations beyond that.
On this part: "I have never had any other problems with my network in any game, download, voip or stream that would be more frequent than once a week."

Just to clarify are you saying you DO have issues at other times just not as often as in Deadlock? It could be due to packet sizes being sent from Deadlock as compared to other games you may be playing, different routes to get to Valve servers, or really any number of things at that point. Do any of your other devices on your network (phone, etc) ever have connectivity issues? The red dot is probably indicating a connectivity issue but not 100% sure.

I would suggest checking and making sure that your ethernet connection to your router is solid (Would most likely be negotiating at 1Gbps or if your router & hardware support it 2.5Gbps), and also looking into your home router logs at the times you are seeing issues in Deadlock and see if you spot anything there. Specific things like WAN disconnections which would affect the whole network, or drops on your specific LAN port that you are connected to with your PC.

As of last patch ( 10-10-2024) I'm getting same thing. It doesn't happen every game, but it does happen in odd situations. It's usually more toward the end of the game than at the start. I happens to drop frames from 130-140 stable to 30fps and solution is to pause game and restart it. Other thing that's happening to me is random freezes for a second which is frustrating if it happens in the middle of the fight or when you're chasing/running away from the enemy.

As the restart of the game fixes this issue, this loos more like some memory leak tbh.
Definitely needs more debugging and testing.

Havent tried myself, but some issue with localization is causing this I think??? Linking for increased visiblity.

Edit : Tried this, seems to have fixed issue but it will change your items and abilities to Russian language, so back up your stuff prior (or just suffer with 20fps until devs fix xD)

Last edited:
It used to be that id crash every other game but now i get some infuriating stutters instead. It seems pretty random when they actually happen. Could be first game, could be third. At the start or the end, more common at the end though. I have consistently 140fps with FSR2.

They are barely half a second but that is quite a long time when youre in the thick of it. The input is not aborted during this stutter leading to some very frustrating situations.

Im gonna paste what im 99% sure the problem is caused by from the console, what ive tried so far to fix it and my specs. Ive googled every part of this and tried all the fixes i could even if they are from another source game.

This comes up in the console after every stutter.

[Client] Current tick is 89007, but we have received a message for tick 89015. Processing all messages up to 89015 now.
[Client] Last server executed command is 88400 on tick 89015. Duplicating command 88397 3x to catch up. New outgoing command is 88400
[Client] Slamming client tick to server tick. abs( server tick 89015 - client tick 89001 = 14 ) > ( cl_clockdrift_max_ticks 3 + sim ticks 6 = 9 )
CSwapChainBase::QueuePresentAndWait() looped for 22 iterations without a present event.
Excessive frame time of 230.25ms clamped. Acting as if the frame only took 100.00ms

Reinstall the game
Reinstall GPU driver
Purge GPU driver and settings then install a fresh downloaded driver
Bought a new CPU cooler to prevent a part from reaching 95*c (even if that is the operating temperature)
Undervolted the CPU and changed boost behavior to keep performance more consistence
Changed to stock memory settings from EXPO setting
Tried running in DX11, Vulcan, Stretch, FSR2, borderless, fullscreen
Limited framerate to 60
Every graphics setting both on and off.
Programs in the background turned off.
Flushed DNS

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor, 4701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product PRIME X670-P WIFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31,1 GB
GPU NVidia RTX 3070

I dont know what else to try but its genuinely ruining games for me.
It wasn't until the 10/10 update, that I noticed something similar going on, it's hard to articulate other than there's a micro-freeze within the first minute of me being in lane. It's nothing too wild, but a bit annoying since it can put me in awkward spots or I have to play safe until that micro-freeze or stutter passes. It only happens at the start of the match for me and doesn't occur again.

On this part: "I have never had any other problems with my network in any game, download, voip or stream that would be more frequent than once a week."

Just to clarify are you saying you DO have issues at other times just not as often as in Deadlock? It could be due to packet sizes being sent from Deadlock as compared to other games you may be playing, different routes to get to Valve servers, or really any number of things at that point. Do any of your other devices on your network (phone, etc) ever have connectivity issues? The red dot is probably indicating a connectivity issue but not 100% sure.

I would suggest checking and making sure that your ethernet connection to your router is solid (Would most likely be negotiating at 1Gbps or if your router & hardware support it 2.5Gbps), and also looking into your home router logs at the times you are seeing issues in Deadlock and see if you spot anything there. Specific things like WAN disconnections which would affect the whole network, or drops on your specific LAN port that you are connected to with your PC.

I have about a 5 second outage at 3am every other week. Ive assumed that its just my ISP doing something. Other than that there isnt any issues when it comes to connectivity. Im watching streams some of the time im playing and that never has issues when im getting the excessive frame timings.

I checked the logs on the router and nothing was added during a 3 hour play session with it happening several times in game.

Did go for another round googling the issue and found someone recommending to put a new outbound rule on the windows firewall for deadlock specifically. I cant say for sure that it did anything but MAYBE it made it a bit rarer for the excessive frame timing to happen but they are the same when they do happen.

Again, might just be wishful thinking on my part and it didnt do anything.

As of last patch ( 10-10-2024) I'm getting same thing. It doesn't happen every game, but it does happen in odd situations. It's usually more toward the end of the game than at the start. I happens to drop frames from 130-140 stable to 30fps and solution is to pause game and restart it. Other thing that's happening to me is random freezes for a second which is frustrating if it happens in the middle of the fight or when you're chasing/running away from the enemy.

As the restart of the game fixes this issue, this loos more like some memory leak tbh.
Definitely needs more debugging and testing.

I read someones post with that issue and they figured out it was because they were on vulcan and switching to dx11 fixed it.

It wasn't until the 10/10 update, that I noticed something similar going on, it's hard to articulate other than there's a micro-freeze within the first minute of me being in lane. It's nothing too wild, but a bit annoying since it can put me in awkward spots or I have to play safe until that micro-freeze or stutter passes. It only happens at the start of the match for me and doesn't occur again.
For me it can happen at any time during the game. You can hit F7 after it freezes for you and look at the console log to see if there is any info.

Its been almost a month since i originally posted this issue and so far, no solid fixes. Still stutters every game with no real pattern to frequency. Seems independent of where i am on the map, who im playing, what other heroes are in the game and what items are in use.

I did get a more detailed look at my usage during stutters and CPU and GPU usage drops at the same time but i cant see why that would be the cause rather than a symptom.

Back