Cancel Key Inconsistencies

bioa10

Some Abilities Can't Be Canceled
I've noticed that not all abilities are able to be canceled with the cancel key even though they can be canceled with the ability button. The following abilities can't be canceled with the cancel key option.
  • Abrams: Seismic Impact
  • Kelvin: Frozen Shelter
  • Lady Geist: Siphon Life
  • McGinnis: Spectral Wall
  • Vindicta: Flight, Assassinate
  • Viscous: Goo Ball
  • Yamato: Power Slash, Shadow Transformation

Some Abilities Behave Odd With Cancel
I've noticed inconsistencies with how some abilities interact with the new options to have cancel be a cancel key or ability key.
  • Abrams Seismic Impact: Can be "canceled" (it makes you crash down) by pressing the ability key regardless of cancel key preference. No tooltips for canceling the ability, though I guess that might be confusing since canceling it causes the same effect as clicking when in the air.
  • Infernus Flame Dash: Can be canceled by the ability key regardless of preferences. This seems to be because the skill itself updates to be a cancel button.
  • Yamato Shadow Transformation: During the initial channel, shows tooltips that say you can cancel, but can't cancel with either the cancel key or the ability key.

Vertical Ropes Can't Be Jumped Off With Cancel
The vertical ropes that go to the roofs can be jumped off of with the jump key but not with the cancel key. This is inconsistent with zipline behavior that allows you to jump off the zipline with either jump or cancel.

Tooltips Near Reticle Don't Update
The tooltips near the reticle that show you what keys to press to cancel the ability only update when the hero is spawned into the game. This means that if you change your cancel key preferences mid game, it still shows the old preference. In the sandbox for example, switching heroes will update the tooltips to match your new cancel key preference.

Last edited:
if they fixed lady geist's life drain cancel it would be SO smooth. We're this close to greatness. please Volvo let me change the cancel key.

i feel like it would be beneficial to draw a line between reactivation and canceling. I personally think reactivation should be for abilities with intended second stage, things you are generally gonna do no matter what. Cancel key should be a i messed up and i dont want to stick with my decision to use this ability. I think making this distinction would help the kits feel more fluid when using cancel key bindings and help prevent unintuitive binds. i think there would have to be some nuance in how this is implemented based on how issues it would cause with overlapping abilities in kits.

The more im thinking about this i think a lot of abilities would benefit from a short delay before they can be canceled so you can react to the activation in a situation where you are button mashing (hectic teamfight or waiting for CC on you to end). I think implementing this would also remove some of the awkward situations where you have multiple stoppable abilities enabled at once like on kelvin and viscous, this way i could stick to second press to cancel and choose what ability to cancel individually. (i think ima make another post about this idea to try and help get it some traction.)

Below is how i would categorize different abilities i have had issues with.
  • mo and krill burrow would be a reactivate, i personally dont think it is necessary for the ability to have a cancel on the wind up. using the cancel key for unburrowing feels awkward
  • mo and krill combo would have a cancel
  • haze ult would have a cancel
  • kelvin ult would have a cancel
  • grey talon ult would have a reactivate
  • viscous goo ball would be a cancel

Back