alt-tab bricks game/PC

francotaurus

in my case, 100% of the time if im trying to alt-tab after the game is loaded, the game will freeze and refuse to close. for whatever reason task manager is unable to end the kill the frozen process, and the game won't close although steam will still say it's running (pressing stop button on steam client does nothing). it requires a computer restart to end the process, and nothing else i've found works to close the game when it's frozen due to this alt-tab issue. once, it caused a bluescreen on my PC (yesterday) and i had to go to a restore point, but that hasn't been a consistent issue

PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
Gigabyte B650M DS3H Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory
MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I just had this happen. I tried to get to the Official Discord, copied the Discord link, then Alt-Tabed out, PC crashed hard. Got the BSD a few times, then it finally let me shut the computer down. Once it was off for a while, I was able to start it up... this happens with a few games, but like TF2 doesn't hard lock the PC. Not sure if something is overheating or what, though I'm guessing that is part of it given others are having overheating... but now it won't let me get to the Discord, says I already did that, but I didn't as it was locked up.
EDIT:
PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus
32GB RAM
ASROck AMD Radion RX 6700 XT (12 GB)

I can safely alt-tab mid game, in loading screen, in sand box ( as i did now, testing heroes as writing here ). I'm pretty sure it has something to do with your Personal Computer. Wait out till a tech-freak can solve this one out!

It seems like a lot of pc's with AMD stuff is having most of the problems, my specs below and I've had no problem other than late game with slightly lower fps when stuff starts to get bunched together.

CPU: i7-13700F
GPU: 4060 NVIDIA

It seems like a lot of pc's with AMD stuff is having most of the problems, my specs below and I've had no problem other than late game with slightly lower fps when stuff starts to get bunched together.

CPU: i7-13700F
GPU: 4060 NVIDIA
i also believe this is the case, for whatever reason AMD gpu's don't seem to like deadlock or source 2. i've deep cleaned, undervolted, swapped graphics API's from dx11 to vulkan, but unfortunately nothing has worked so i'm hoping valve can fix this

i also believe this is the case, for whatever reason AMD gpu's don't seem to like deadlock or source 2. i've deep cleaned, undervolted, swapped graphics API's from dx11 to vulkan, but unfortunately nothing has worked so i'm hoping valve can fix this
also be sure for everyone really, make sure your intel CPU's are updated to the most recent fix that intel sent out since there is a HUGE defect in the recent CPU's released. If you have any blue screens or pc's shutting off before hand reach out to intel and see if you are covered under the new extension of coverage they have given out! :)

this right here is why ill never buy amd. always have had these issues for years....

Back