Allow McGinnis to nudge her turrets using melee

Gaborit

Turret placement with McGinnis can be quite finicky. Placing them near stairs may cause shots to collide with the ground, and in the middle of a teamfight, a slight missclick might position them behind a wall. A potential solution? Allow players to melee the turrets to nudge them into the correct spot. This adds skill expression to a rather static hero, it allow positioning them in a safe location during their arming animation, then adjusting them more aggressively afterward. It wouldn’t be overpowered since McGinnis would need to stay close to the turrets, and a distinct sound could give away her position.

That kind of nudging would require the use of mobile collision box, and most likely would behave weirdly with stacked turrets (and it's one of current techs).
Probably will never happen, cause, well - placing turrets isn't really a way to "express your skill"?...

What might work is making McGinnis able to hold a button to dismantle a turret and refund a majority of its cooldown, because there are definitely a lot of ugly corners that cause the turret to get placed down in a terrible spot.

But in that case McGinnis could place a "good" turret, wait for it to do its thing (kill creeps, clear neutral camps, deny area, etc...), and then dismantle it with no cost.

If this would do anything at all for McGinnis it would just be very annoying. She does not play around a single turret ever, the whole point of the hero is to set up immobile killzones where she is practically a god. If you were to be able to nudge turrets then she would be tasked by constantly "nudging" this killzone in position, which strikes me as awfully annoying.

McGinnis is stuck in this weird place of not belonging in Deadlock kit-wise, but still being insanely strong if the opponent is forced to play on her terms. I don't think you can do much without upsetting this balance. Nobody can fight McGinnis when she has more than 2 buffed turrets up. Usually it requires more than 2 people to kill her when she is fully set up.

I agree that McGinnis needs to be on the receiving end to be effective. Her turrets take time to set up, and the healing area forces her to remain in place, but I think that's good game desing, not every hero needs to effective in every situation.

As for the nudge allowing her to move the killzone, it being annoying would be beneficial, it reinforces that defensive gameplay. That's why it should only be nudging, and not, say, hauling building like the engineer does in TF2. If moving the killzone is the most efective strategy, that could be easily fixed by giving some sort of cooldown for the nudges. Also, this idea is more focused on the laning stage, where a single turret can make the difference, and to avoid those "feel bad" moments where a turret is poorly placed and wasted.

Back